Easy way to auto mount network drives without logging out/rebooting?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cameronfield, Sep 9, 2009.

1. cameronfield macrumors member

I added my network drives to my logon folder thinking that would do the trick, but then I realized I rarely ever log out/reboot my laptop. I usually just let it sleep wherever I go.

Is there any easy way to have it automatically connect to my network drives when I come home from class/work?

Thanks!!

2. devburke Guest

You could make something up in Automator to do that (although you’ll have to tell it to run when you want it to connect them, but at least it’ll do the rest). If you need to enter passwords to connect to them, it’ll ask you for them, but if you save the passwords in your keychain, it won’t ask any more.

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

I haven't tried it in Mac OS X, but this used to work in Mac OS 9. Make an alias of the network drives on the Desktop (so you don't get double icons, I think you can then set Finder's preferences to hide the drives' main icons) and just use the aliases to access them. They should re-connect automatically when double-clicked after the password is stored. You can also access them through Open / Save windows by going to the desktop first (or possibly putting the alias in the sidebar).

4. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! Only problem I'm running into is that I cant actually make an alias for the drive itself (not an option when I right click), but I can make aliases for any of the folders on the drive. This is definitely a step in the right direction!!

EDIT: Ok for some weird reason when I try to add an alias for one of the folders on the drive it tells me I dont have permission :(. Any ideas?