Easy way to backup all my stuff?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrEsTo, Aug 2, 2007.

1. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

The title says it all.

I'm selling my iMac, but I'd like to backup all my documents, pictures, music, etc..

I'll be using an external Firewire drive.

Any suggestion?

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If there's room, just clone your hard drive. Carbon Copy Cloner is free. SuperDuper! is not, but very good. Might let you do a single clone for free, though.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Superduper actually lets you do unlimited clones for free, for the paid version you get extra features such as smart update and scheduling.

4. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I find that CCC is best for when you're moving to a larger HD on an existing system, and want to move your boot files, all applications, etc, etc. over in one fell swoop so that you don't have to re-install anything.

The real question for the OP is ...what do they really need to move?

Afterall, if you're going to a brand new machine, you're going to need to have to reinstall all of your Apps ... at least any who have any sort of licence / registration requirement ... which means that the 'backups' that are required are just of documents, pictures, etc, within the User file. You can just use the Finder with Admin permission to do that.

-hh

5. Penryn macrumors member

Penryn

If you're just wanting to keep your files and not need a bootable back up then you can just copy and paste your files on to your external HDD.