Easy Way To Convert Vector PICTs to PDF/EPS/Whatever?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've run into a problem that has proved to be surprisingly annoying, given that it seems like it'd be pretty common. Where I work has a lot of old vector PICT files laying around. They're still more or less supported, but it's getting to be a lot less than more--Preview rasterizes them to low resolution when you open one, and applications that correctly use the vector content are getting less common.

Problem is that I can't seem to find any easy way to batch convert them to PDF (or some other more common vector format) easily. Graphic Converter understands the vector content, but as far as I can tell it can only rasterize it, not convert it into another vector format (though it will convert WMF to vector PICT properly, surprisingly enough).

Intaglio and Illustrator will open them as vector files, but I can't seem to see an easy way to batch convert with them. (Adding a layer of annoyance, these files have several thousand small objects in them, which REALLY slows down both of those apps, making experimentation a bit tedious.)

Is there some easy solution I'm missing here? Anybody else dealt with this? Google and a forum search were basically useless.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As bad as you may think there is a problem with PICTs, the situation with ESPF is worse. Both PICT and ESPF still work, but are poorly supported by graphics editor developers. Even Apple's PostScript print driver no longer saves as ESPF; only as PDF.

The irony is that that Apple wanted to replace PICT with PDF, but many MacOS X apps accept only PICT, but not PDF. The situation is particularly iffy with raster [bitmap] images.

My suggestion is to leave your PICTs alone. Most MacOS X apps can import them with no problem.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You can set up Actions in Illustrator and batch files that way. Open up Illustrator Help and search for 'batch'... there are long and comprehensive instructions therein.

4. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

Have you tried Imagemagick's convert command?