Easy way to create a password protected folder for Windows users to access

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jan 8, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I use the Mac as my main computer. I just learned how to use the disk utility to create a password protected folder. It is a bit complicated.

I want to create a password protected folder, put it in usb drive and then give the files to somebody's secretary for her to forward the files. Using disk utility, I can only create a password protected folder .dmg which Windows users probably don't know what to do with it. Is there an easy way to create a password protected folder for Windows users to access?

If there is no freeware, how about free windows version of some software? Any recommendation?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It looks like a bit of work to set up on every computer involved, but you could check into TrueCrypt software for encrypting a USB stick.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Using the disk utility, it generates a password protected .dmg file. Can Windows OS recognize this file type? How can Windows users read the contents?

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Create a password protected zip file then copy that to the USB drive. Can't open it unless you have the password.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

How to do that easily on the Mac? I can do it in Windows using 7zip

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

This link will explain one way.