Easy way to get icons?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chrisms, Jul 10, 2009.

1. chrisms macrumors newbie

Hey, Is there an easier way to grab all the app's on my phone's icon art? I'm looking to do a custom theme for my phone, and I managed to find the folder where the jailbroken application's (as well as apple apps) are kept with their icons, but the app store applications aren't there, so I can't find their icon.png

any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I'm new at this too, but from my messing around with mine earlier, I think if you DON'T put an icon in the Icons folder, it'll use Apple's default icon.

ETA: I just re-read your question and I don't think I answered your question, I'm sorry :p I thought you meant, in a particular theme you didn't see the Apple app icons. So ignore my answer then! :D

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

4. blackdove macrumors newbie

That's not even remotely similar to what he asked for.

Do people even read the questions here or what?

He wants to be able to to get at the icons from, for example, iDracula or Melodica, which are applications downloaded from the Apple Store, to use them in his theme.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

/var/mobile/Applications/

You have to go through all the subfolders named with the long number-letter combinations to find the app you are looking for.

6. chrisms thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you:)
    also thanks to srl that site will be useful depending on how much i want to change

and no blackdove, apparently people dont actually read anymore haha

7. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Get Applinks from Cydia. It will link the folders that the apps are in to a folder named after the app. So instead of gibberish folders in ~/Applications, you will have folders named iDracula.app and Melodica.app in /Applinks.

It seems to only work for the apps in /var/mobile/Applications and not the apps in /Applications though.

Apps usually name their icon "Icon.png" but some don't. If you can't find the icon, you can open Info.plist and look for a line like this that names the png file used for the icon:

Code:
    <key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
    <string>icon.png</string> 

8. chrisms thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot, that could be helpful, i'll keep it in mind if i run across it

9. blackdove macrumors newbie

It's an unfortunate side effect of this artificially-induced ADHD society :)

You might want to check out http://forums.toucharcade.com/ and http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/ to be up on the inner workings of the Apple toys.

- bd