Easy way to grab all modified iPhoto photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NikkiJayne, Sep 26, 2014.

1. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

So today I went out and took loads of photos. I imported them all to iPhoto and made modifications within the app (as it's so much easier than firing up Photoshop!)

Now for years I have kept a folder system of all my photos in finder. Probably takes up way too much space but it's just the way I work.
    So I'd like to grab all these modified photos and shove them in a folder - is there an easy way to do this without doing the whole 'Reveal in Finder > Modified File' which can bring up a ridiculous amount of finder windows?

Also, I can usually do a batch modified file reveal, but for some reason when I select all of the photos in this event, I can only 'Reveal in fFnder > Original File'. I can only get Modified File by clicking on each photo separately. Since I have 91 photos, I don't really fancy doing this!

tl;dr Modified a bunch of photos in iPhoto, how can I put all the modified files into a folder on my desktop with the least amount of pain?

2. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of iPhoto actions in Automator and iPhoto is also scriptable. Looking at the Filter or Find iPhoto Photos actions there's lots of criteria to choose from like Date last modified and Photo is marked as edited. Give it a try.

Automator :

1. Get Specified iPhoto items
    2. Filter or Find iPhoto Photos
    3. Move or Copy Finder items

There's also a preview path or thumbnail path property of a photo in the iPhoto Applescript dictionay but that didn't produce the same path as doing 'Reveal in Finder > Modified File.
    Doing 'Reveal in Finder > Modified File on a photo points to for example "/Users/kryten/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2014/09/27/20140927-020140/8CAb0tJcTKWoDUz3eW0V2A/Azaleas.jpg" whereas getting the preview path of the same photo points to "/Users/kryten/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Thumbnails/2014/09/27/20140927-020140/8CAb0tJcTKWoDUz3eW0V2A/Azaleas_1024.jpg".

3. wuddog macrumors newbie

OK, I'm not by any means a MAC guru, but I've found the smart album function in iphoto helpful. If you can tag the photos you want or if you know their dates, you can make a smart album that isolates them all. Then you can easily move them around. Keep in mind the photos don't really move into a different folder with smart folder, but they are just grouped so when you open the specific smart folder, only those photos are shown.
    Hope that makes sense.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iPhoto keeps all these modified photos in a separate folder, Modified, within the iPhoto Library file.

If you Right/Ctrl click on the iPhoto Library file and choose Show Package Contents, you will see this folder.

However, you need to be very careful what you do inside that Package as you can seriously damage iPhoto. If you just drag your pictures out of that Modified folder, they will no longer appear in iPhoto. You will need to Copy them by holding down the Alt key as you drag and drop them.