Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I use the ATV 3 preset within HB. Every once in a while iFlicks detects that the file is 780p rather than 1080p. Is there a way to know for sure whether the file is actually 1080p-- perhaps within "Get Info"?

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
The way I look is in finder under column view, click title and look at the info to the right. If the dimensions start with 1920 then its a 1080 file. If it's around 1280, then its a 720 file.

There are exceptions, but that is generally what it is.

You can also look in iTunes Get Info.

Last edited:

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
The way I look is in finder under column view, click title and look at the info to the right. If the dimensions start with 1920 then its a 1080 file. If it's around 1280, then its a 720 file.

There are exceptions, but that is generally what it is.

You can also look in iTunes Get Info.

Thanks! I looked at both files and they're 1916 x 796, so I think I'm good.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Thanks! I looked at both files and they're 1916 x 796, so I think I'm good.

that's not a standard resolution.
1916 horizontal means that a little cropping has taken place.

it looks like the original was 1920x800, but it has been cropped both horizontally and vertically by 4 pixels.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
that's not a standard resolution.
1916 horizontal means that a little cropping has taken place.

it looks like the original was 1920x800, but it has been cropped both horizontally and vertically by 4 pixels.

It's a tad unusual, but some HD-DVD/Blu-Rays have small black bars down the left and right hand sides (I've noticed it on a few of mine). There's nothing wrong with cropping them out.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
It's a tad unusual, but some HD-DVD/Blu-Rays have small black bars down the left and right hand sides (I've noticed it on a few of mine). There's nothing wrong with cropping them out.

That's what the ATV3/strict setting in HB produced. FWIW, the blu-rays are Harry Potter 3 & 4.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK

have never seen black bars left and right.
top and bottom yes, but never left and right.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I've seen HD-DVDs with all manner of crappy faults, it's another reason why that "standard" lost out to Blu-Ray... I've seen more than one "HD" movie on that crappy format that has taken the original footage and letterboxed it and in doing so they've cropped out content from the top and bottom of the frame making the movie basically unwatchable as it makes the original camera man look as if he was stooped over drunk. HD-DVD was a terrible standard and good riddance to it.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I've seen HD-DVDs with all manner of crappy faults, it's another reason why that "standard" lost out to Blu-Ray... I've seen more than one "HD" movie on that crappy format that has taken the original footage and letterboxed it and in doing so they've cropped out content from the top and bottom of the frame making the movie basically unwatchable as it makes the original camera man look as if he was stooped over drunk. HD-DVD was a terrible standard and good riddance to it.

Are you trying to say that they took a movie in a 16:9 ratio and turned it into a 2.40 movie?? Usually it's the exact opposite.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Are you trying to say that they took a movie in a 16:9 ratio and turned it into a 2.40 movie?? Usually it's the exact opposite.

From what I gather they took 4:3 content and letter boxed it, but that movie, Top Gun, has been butchered and destroyed by so many production companies post facto that its disgusting. It's a cheesy 80s movie in the first place I digress, but it's still watchable and there's a reason why it still turns up on TV all the time... I'm still trying to find something that looks better than my 4:3 ratio upscaled DVD I found on sale at my local supermarket.

Last edited:

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
From what I gather they took 4:3 content and letter boxed it, but that movie, Top Gun, has been butchered and destroyed by so many production companies post facto that its disgusting. It's a cheesy 80s movie in the first place I digress, but it's still watchable and there's a reason why it still turns up on TV all the time... I'm still trying to find something that looks better than my 4:3 ratio upscaled DVD I found on sale at my local supermarket.

Not sure I understand, top gun original aspect ratio is 2.39:1. The black bars on the top and bottom is normal.

Your 4:3 DVD is not the original aspect. It has been modified.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

I've never encountered what you're describing with HD DVD and I've probably ripped a hundred or so.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012

RIP Tony Scott!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Trust me I have the original aspect DVD from Paramount and the HD-DVD sitting right here. The HD-DVD content has been letterboxed six ways from Sunday.

Companies released DVD's in both 4:3 aspect and "widescreen," especially in the late 80's and 90's. (Keep in mind they still do, but I think they are becoming less and less.) This was before widescreen TV's came onto the market and started becoming affordable. The movie buffs liked the widescreen movies, even on their 4:3 TV screens. A majority of movie viewers felt they were getting ripped off because it did not "fill the entire screen" and demanded a version that would fit.

Top Gun was originally released in theaters as 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Since I have never seen the HD-DVD version, I am not disputing your claims of the modifications to it. All I am saying it that the movie was not originally filmed in the 4:3 format. BTW, I do think some of the 70mm film was cropped to fit the 2.35:1 format, but that doesn't mean it was a hack-job.

And, yes, I do enjoy this cheesy 80's film and have owned it on VHS, DVD, and now Blu-ray. :D

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Trust me I have the original aspect DVD from Paramount and the HD-DVD sitting right here. The HD-DVD content has been letterboxed six ways from Sunday.

Top Gun' hits HD DVD three years after the flick's most recent standard-def DVD release, and both discs appear to share the same master (even the dirt speckles are in the same place). Still, that's not an entirely bad thing -- this was my first experience seeing either edition, and I have to say I was impressed with how great this film looks over twenty years after it first hit theaters.

Paramount offers up a 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer in the film's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/942/topgun.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.