Easy way to temporarily bypass spell check autocorrect?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someguy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I have a basic question that I can't seem to find the answer to (maybe because there isn't one).

When typing in a program that has "Correct Spelling Automatically" checked under Edit > Spelling and Grammar, if I type something that the system doesn't recognize, it will often change it to something that is simply wrong, rather than underlining it in red.

I often have to type words that are not proper nouns, but also not common words that the system would know, and to be blunt, I don't want to disable "Correct Spelling Automatically", nor do I want to tell the system to learn each of these words, unless there is a way I can do this very, very quickly without interrupting my typing.

I was hoping there would be something implemented in OS X that would allow me to, say, hold Option while hitting Space after the word and it would avoid correcting that particular word, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any thoughts?

2. Cholesterol macrumors newbie

I realize I'm bumping an old thread, but would REALLY love a fix for this. Typing proper names and then going back later to see them "corrected" is maddening...