EasyVPN vs. iVPN

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBHockey, Sep 19, 2011.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm going to purchase one of these applications soon to run my home Mac as a VPN server that I can connect to while on the road. It seems silly to pay more for a VPN service when I have a perfectly good broadband connection at home that is pretty fast (35 down/30 up fios line).

I'm looking for anyone who has had experience. Do you recommend either of them?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.... and it's free.

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for the suggestion, but that does not seem like a VPN-oriented program, right? I looks more like a remote desktop server/client.

I wouldn't need to control the remote computer, i just want to use its internet connection through a secure VPN connection to it. I'm not sure TeamViewer accomplishes the same goal.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Make sure you have a static IP address, not a dynamic one. Nothing would suck more for your IP address to change when you're on the road. :(

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, my IP at home is static. Although if it weren't I could just grab a free dyndns account. I've used it in the past and it works really well.

Still looking for some feedback on these two apps :)

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I had downloaded EasyVPN because it provided a demo.

Frankly, I ran into some issues that had to do with being unfamiliar with setting up VPN. And EasyVPN didn't have a lot of documentation. If I ever go that route again it will be through Apple's GUI in Lion Server.

Meanwhile, I opted instead for SSH; just as secure, and I found it extremely easy to set up (I use ShareTool, but there's also Slink). A nice feature is that bonjour services show up remotely, so iPhoto and iTunes sharing works just like locally. I also share BusyCal that way, and EyeTV. ShareTool can also provide that over VPN should you go that route.

Rob

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use OpenVPN and Tunnelblick. Both are free and open source and work extremely well.

8. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I've got my VPN server set up at home and it works great from the road. But is there a way to have my Mac auto-connect to the VPN at startup and re-connect if the connection drops? I don't see any obvious way to make this happen