Eating chips while on the computer

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericgtr12, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I'm right handed, while surfing on my computer I will be forced to eat chips with my watch hand. I'm concerned about battery drain as I usually eat the whole bag.

2. kovey macrumors 6502a

Interesting. What forces you to eat chips with the watch hand? Are you an amputee with high cholesterol?

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

This is not going to a problem. The watch screen turns on and turns off within 30 secs if untouched. There is also a setting where you can allow the screen to only turn on if you press the screen or the digital crown. (Turning off raise to wrist).

4. Armen, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, the Apple watch is a fitness tracker. Maybe you won't eat the whole bag anymore?

5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

This post is awesome. Haven't laughed on this forum since people were asking why they second speaker in their iPhone didn't work

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Yea, watching your heart rate go up as you eat all of that fat and salt my slow you down a bit. :rolleyes:

7. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Definitely a slow day in here.

----------

That's my surfin' hand, I need it for pointing and clicking and stuff. It's clear that I either need 3 hands or a bigger battery.

8. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I have had a similar concern. I like to eat cookies with two hands. It minimizes the time that my mouth is without cookie in it.

Now, I'll have to only use my right hand! This will cut cookie eating speed in half!

With my auto winding Tag, eating cookies actually helped.
    The Apple Watch sucks!

9. BSben macrumors 6502a

Really gripping stuff! Just to make it clear are you eating UK chips ( called french fries or pommes frites in some countries) or are you eating US Chips (called Crisps in the UK)? Also surfing on a computer may void your warranty, you might consider buying a surf board, they are made for use in water.

10. Branskins macrumors 65816

This is amazing! Thanks for this #.

Prepare for our lives to be changed!

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

This is how people get their keyboards all shiny and gross. Ick.

12. dandrewk macrumors 6502

So, the Apple Watch records steps with that up/down arm movement? I suspect a lot of folks here will easily hit their 10k steps/day goal.

;):eek:

13. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Or maybe the watch will show you've walked 2,000 steps from moving your hand back and forth.

14. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Apple Watch 2 will have a self winding (charging?) movement so the more chips you eat, the more the watch will charge up.

Also, can't believe we have another week and a half. By Monday if we don't start seeing shipping updates, people are going to go berserk.

15. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Probably depends how vigorously you eat the chips. It may think you're running if your heart rate is high enough. :D

16. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

You'll probably still burn less battery life than people who jog and move both their wrists up and down repeatedly for a half hour (or even longer, like maybe an hour or two!!) at a time. Another solution if you are truly worried is to possibly just lift the bag and dump the chips into your mouth all at once. The reduced time to bag-finishing may save battery life.

17. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This post is pretty funny, but there is a reasonable question here.

Is it going to turn on every time under certain motions? Every time I take a drink? Do a curl at the gym? Wipe my ass? Eat -- swap chips for whatever? I hadn't thought about any of that, but I hate the idea of worrying about battery life all day and intentionally changing the hand with which I normally do things.

From the scathing replies above, I take it nobody else is concerned about this? Or were we just thrown off by the OP's narrative around the problem?

18. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

...vigorous wrist movements... Gegiddy

19. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

20. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Well, I'm left handed so I would put the watch on my right arm... Most of the day, though, I would be using my left hand to reach for things or do things (excepting things like curling at the gym where you want to specifically work both arms).

21. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It it an interesting question. If I'm at a movie theater will my watch light up every time I take a bite of popcorn? I'm right handed but I usually eat finger food with my left hand.

22. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Good question.

23. webworks415 macrumors 6502

This is why the next Apple Watch should have a FaceTime camera, if it doesn't detect your eyes looking at it, it will know you are just raising your arm to eat chips and not to check the time. Or they can integrate a sensor that knows when a chip is in your hand, maybe call it the ChipChip.

24. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I wish we could experiment with this at the store, but their try-on models are all running that silly demo loop. The popcorn comment is another good example.

On the flip side of this, I wonder how small of a motion it will see. For instance, if I want to keep my hand under the table (say, during a meeting, or while in the middle of a conversation), can I just tilt my wrist up a bit to see it? Or will I have to do an exaggerated motion or else hit a button with my other hand?

Hopefully apple put a lot of thought into these scenarios. If done properly, this could all be very smooth, but if not, it might make for an annoying experience.