Eating Late at Night

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Inky, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Inky macrumors newbie

What's the consensus about a rebellious 19 year old living at home constantly eating in the middle of the night and purposely continuing to do so because he doesn't see anything wrong with it.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Still living at home and you are 19? yes you should move out. :p

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

4. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Hasn't your mother always told you that eating passed 1900 is a bad idea..

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Well, I think you should continue to eat when you damn please.

I also think you should begin to focus your rebellion on larger things. Instead of late eating, make the simple transition to late capitalism, for example.

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Well it depends, is he over weight? If he's not over weight then chances are he's not over eating, some teenage guys just need to eat A LOT. It's probably very annoying for the person buying the groceries, but unless he's just over indulging because he can I'm not sure there's anything that needs to be done about it.

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I don't see a problem with late night eating at home, other then the fact that it's not good for you. I use to do it all the time when I was still living at my parents house.

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

He probably won't change his habits until he starts to suffer for his habits. But then again he could continue doing it and it would just become a bad habit. I always wake up with a stomach ache if I eat right before I sleep.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

this is true....depending on the person. what do you mean, the middle of the night? like 2am or what?

10. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Eating Late at Night..

..Is what led to me ballooning to 19 stone.*

*I have since dropped down to 12 and a half stone in 6 months.

11. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

Whatever gets you through the night.
    Frank Sinatra

12. mantic macrumors 6502a

I eat whenever i'm hungry no matter what time it is. I'm 25 and have been this way all my life. I'm 6'1" 170lbs been the same weight since i was 19. If you over eat you're gonna get fat either way.. doesn't matter when you ate it. True it's better to eat when you're active during the day but.. I don't see any noticeable drawback for myself. If you're hungry eat if you're no don't.. I eat about 5 times a day.. just small things lunch is usually my biggest meal.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I eat late at night, I always go bed at 4am these days and I find myself having a little supper since tea was a good 8/9 hours ago. I haven't gained any weight at all. I've been 9.10 stone all though my extreme kiting, extreme laziness, hill walking phase... well everything over the past 6 years.

Suppose I do walk about a lot. Do that!

14. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

What are you rebelling against? The fridge? Seems harmless to me. Are you leaving a mess for others to clean up in the morning? Are you waking others in your attempt to 'rebell'? Do you have a job and help pay for food?

15. lady therese macrumors newbie

One usually gets heavier when eating late at night. It then depends in the person how fast he/she gains weight. I also eat whatever time of the day but I gain weight quite slow and and loose fast.

Anyone here like me?

16. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I eat late at night all the time. Haven't gained weight yet either. :) If I'm hungry, I eat. It's as simple as that.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Indeed. Why, right now it's 1 AM and I'm enjoying some pop-tarts. :)

Also, I have the most important Science test of the year tomorrow (Put simply; If I don't pass this test, I don't pass the eighth grade.) And I suck at science. I'm hungry, but I'm also calming my nerves for tomorrow.

Food is good.:)

18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Eating late at night won't make you gain weight. Weight gain is purely a function of calories eaten versus calories burned. Your body doesn't care what the clock says when you eat, only how much you eat each day and how much you burn every day. Now if your late-night eating is overeating (ie. you eat normally during the day, then eat a bunch more at night) that's going to make you gain weight, but again it has nothing to do with eating late, it's just eating too much.

All that said, IMO, if you live at home, you have to do what your parents tell you to do, especially if it's their food you're eating. One of the (many) nice things about living on your own is that you can get up at 3 AM and make a bunch of noise getting something to eat and nobody is there to care :D.

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Not entirely true, because your body will burn less calories when sleeping. But, if you're eating at 1 AM and you won't be falling asleep until 4, it's not so bad.

The only rule my parents told us about eating was to eat when you're hungry and to stop eating when you're not hungry. Not a single person overweight in my family, but, of course, obesity doesn't run in my family.

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I always snack late at night. It's 1:30 here right now, and I'm having some pretzels.

I usually stay away from soda this late though. I'll have a bottle of water or two. Late night snacking is delicious.

21. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I'm revising at the moment, not coming back from the library till about 12/1am, and I don't generally get anything to eat until I'm walking home. I had a McDonalds at 1am yesterday :(

And no, it's not good for you apparantly. My mum always used to tell my dad off for eating late at night. And mum's have a way of knowing about these things :rolleyes:

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've always eaten late too (not just snacks either, but full meals), and am not overweight.

But.. I have found recently while I have little problem getting to sleep, I often am waking up several times during the night, and wake up exhausted. Obviously I don't sleep well when digesting, I imagine most people are the same. Not eating anything heavy for at least a couple of hours before bed has made a big difference.

23. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Nope, sorry. It may be true that you burn less calories while sleeping, but assuming you (like most people) sleep every day, you're still burning a certain number of calories each day and as long as that number is equal to (or greater than) the number you eat, you won't gain weight.

24. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I love eating late at night, I can never stop eating, and I'm not overweight at all, just on the border between "normal" for my age (16) and underweight.

25. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Well, in this case, mums don't know a thing about metabolism or nutritional health. The time at which you eat bears no matter in weight gain or health. :rolleyes:

I wish the people spewing this ignorance would stop for a moment to realize that they have not received this information from any reputable source and stop themselves from continuing to pass on potential (in this case definite) misinformation! This is a huge nutritional myth! In fact, it fascinates me how people think that after a certain time (5pm, 6pm, 10pm, midnight, whatever), our bodies' metabolic processes suddenly and mysteriously change their process resulting in the consumption of calories not being used for fuel (and our bodies still working somehow), but going straight to storage as fat.

In fact, if you think about it, the time between your dinner (maybe 5-10pm) and your breakfast (short for "break"-ing your "fast," and coming in at 7am-11am) is one of the longest periods that our bodies go without nutrients to act as a metabolic fuel. Food has calories and macronutrients that force our bodies to work, making them in essence thermogenics (just like TrimSpa! :)), but in nearly all foods we are left with a positive net calorie balance after digestion, leaving energy for living processes and physical activity (and in many Americans' cases, fat storage). This doesn't change, ever! Even when you're sleeping, and your living processes seem to slow down, yet in reality, especially if you are an active person, your body is rebuilding and repairing.

A little more in-depth, it's actually more intelligent to eat a [healthy] midnight snack and a moderate-sized breakfast, because your metabolism will keep pumping while you sleep, and then you will be prone toward eating healthily-sized lunch and dinner meals, rather than fasting for up to twice as long as you need fast and then eating huge meals less times per day, which DO result in more fat storage because your body's metabolism is in "efficient," slow mode, afraid it may need to store fat in case of another long fast.

I would, however, advise the posters here who mention certain carb-laden, fat-laden, no-protein foods as late snacks to think about macronutrients, and ensure they are consuming some protein directly before bed, so as not to cause a negative nitrogen balance while sleeping/fasting, which can lead to muscle breakdown (which leads to weakness and an even SLOWER metabolism!).

So there you have it. Any questions? :)