Eating up space or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PedroMac, May 27, 2008.

1. PedroMac macrumors newbie

I deleted a bunch of my sister wedding pictures that I had downloaded. After messing around, when I open Finder-Search For-All documents, they were still there! Are these just recent things that I've looked at or are they taking up space on my hard drive? Same goes for songs that I've loaded into iTunes, they're there as well. If they are taking up space, is it OK to delete them from there as long as what I want is stored in iPhoto and iTunes without losing them?

Take it is easy on me please, getting used to the Apple world again. Thanks.

2. atluten macrumors 6502

It could be just that you haven't emptied out the trash, as Spotlight is defaulted to search for files in the trash can as well. These files are still taking up space, so if you do want to free some up you'll have to empty out the trash, which can be done through the Finder menu or just right-clicking the trash and choosing the option. Cheers.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

They would still be in the Trash if you haven't emptied it. Also, if you've imported media into iTunes/iPhoto they're usually set to keep a copy in their own database, so you may be seeing those files. You can delete the ones you've download if they're in iTunes/iPhoto.