eBay $500 or $350 deal on iPhone 5 refurbished 64GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inclinati, Jul 4, 2014.

1. inclinati macrumors newbie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271525780656

What do you guys think? Should I get it?

It incudes:
    Apple Certified Pre-Owned iPhone 5
    New Lightning Cable
    New USB Charger
    New Apple EarPods™
    Manual
    1 year warranty

I plan on reselling it soon or giving it to a family once the iPhone 6 releases. I just need something for the time being. The only thing is they only have like 8 reviews.

There's also this one for $349 used, not refurbished:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...hone-WHITE-64GB-Pre-Owned-A1428-/151327471222

but I don't get anything like a charger, warranty, etc. Any suggestions?

Does anyone know where to get refurbished iPhone 5 from a more trusted source?

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Buy the used one since you only need it for a few months and are going to sell or pass it on. You are protected by eBay and PayPal, so you will get what they advertise.

3. 617aircav Suspended

On the second one the reviews are not great. Nine negatives in the last month. Personally i dont buy from sellers who keep items secret on their feedbacks.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Buy my listing I have great feedback and I'm here. Look for futuristic_praning

5. inclinati thread starter macrumors newbie

I would, but it's AT&T. I need an unlocked/t-mobile. :(

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's ebay so it doesn't really matter. You can always file a not-as-described dispute and get your money back if it's not as described.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sellers feedback sucks.:eek:

Even though you are protected by eBay, who wants to step into something like this?:rolleyes:

What will the buyer do if after a few months you wake up and your phone has been locked by the carrier?

8. KillaMac Suspended

9. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

I have a factory unlocked 16gb iPhone 5 that has been recently swapped out by Apple Care, along with accidental warranty till 10/2014, all accessories are brand new and untoched.

Ebay Username: faiz_23

10. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

11. 617aircav Suspended

If you get screwed on swappa you are out of luck. On eBay you have 45 days to report a seller and return the items for a refund.

12. KillaMac Suspended

Umm no you don't. Paypal protects you with Swappa as well. :rolleyes:

You also have more protection with SWAPPA with ESN check and other types of checks. Ebay has none of that.

13. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

Quadruple check with Tmobile that the IMEI is good. It could be on an installment plan now, and is current, but once the owner stops paying, your phone is worthless.

Why don't you just get a 5s on a 0% installment plan from Tmobile?

14. 617aircav Suspended

So true. I deal in used phones and avoid T-Mobile because of this.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I believe it's now 30 days from delivery date to report a seller.

In any case, Swappa sounds bad for the seller because the seller gets essentially no protection while the buyer gets paypal protection. I guess it's a risk you take for paying less in seller fees.

16. RedCoil macrumors newbie

I tried that one out. FYI it doesn't have the Tmobile AWS band. Very slow shipping. When I finally got the phone, it looked like someone had dropped it in a garbage disposal. The seller agreed to issue a full refund and pay return shipping though.

17. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

its not worth getting scammed on ebay. just get an iPhone from the marketplace on here. you could probably find a 5 or 5c for pretty cheap.

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I sold a Galaxy S4 on Swappa that was running a custom recovery and CyanogenMod, which was noted in the listing. The guy who bought it acknowledged this and when he got it reported that it was running fine. Then he decided to try flashing a different kernel or recovery that wasn't properly setup for the S4 exploit and messed it up (don't know which; he wouldn't admit that he had done anything and just kept saying that he found it that way) and wanted to return it to me to either fix it or give him a refund because he didn't know what to do with it. The Swappa staff was very supportive of me as the seller and basically told the buyer that he was on his own.

Purely anecdotal, but I have confidence in the staff there to help rectify issues and ensure that everyone walks away happy. Also, and again this is just my experience and I recognize that this goes counter to the story I just told, but in general the buyers at swappa tend to be a little more phone/gadget savvy because you have a lot of XDA regulars and other similar folks using the service.

I'm not affiliated with swappa and makes no difference to me if you use it or not, but I have and I am quite comfortable with them for buying and selling.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Interesting that the buyer didn't go to paypal as the next resort (which would have been more than happy to side with him as I don't think paypal owns swappa and it's a competitor of ebay). At least he was honest enough to own up to his own mistake.

20. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Yeah one of the guys from swappa and I talked about that possibility and they told me they would be happy to go bat for me against the buyer if he did so. I'm not sure how that would have gone down because in all the years I've been selling stuff I've never had to deal with a complaint against me, but for whatever reason he never went that route. Lucky me I guess.

21. crashnburn macrumors 6502

I got one 64G iPhone 5 for 349. Looks almost brand new except for 1-2 small dinks on the rim.

Did you order the factory unlocked one or the AT&T or verizon one?

Was yours SIM unlocked or not?

22. RafixPhoenix macrumors regular

It looks like the $349 is out of stock, unless that was you who bought it.