Ebay' a Early 09 Macbook board?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iphone2g&3gfan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I was recently on airplane trips and noticed that a lot of planes do not have the entertainment system. So I researched and found out that in the planes I use for interstate hops (which I do a lot) are american's MD-80 with a car style plug with 15volts. I found that the MacBooks use 65 watts of ac adapter, that said the entire thing, including the LCD. The board is an 09 non unibody model which is the only macbook apart from the mid 09(Id be getting early 09) that:
    Is officially supported by 64 bit gpu kext (9400m)
    has 64 bit efi,
    and can run 10.8,9, or 10. Since these versions are identical in minimum spec.
    I would be using the official apple airplane adapter from ebay, and the md-80s plane max volt. is 75 watts for the plug, so I can run the macbook along with a low power LCD via mini dvi. The problem is, can I simply get the magsafe jack module to plug to the board and then plug magsafe to plane, and short the two solder balls for power, and expect to at least get a chime? just the board and magsafe dc in. nothing else. The board is 88 bucks with a 1/3 price discount, including the soldered cpu, and is perfectly working without defects. Will I be able to load os x just from the magsafe dc in board plugged to the logic board, a mini dvi display, and a magsafe to plane adapter plugged to the plane? Or will I need something else to trigger the boot? such as when a cylinder mac pro's case is opened it won't boot, and theres something like that which will block the boot if the switch is not triggered?

Thanks for help,
    iph:apple:ne2g&3gfan

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an awfully complicated way to watch a movie onboard.
    Do I get it right that you plan is to hook up a logicboard directly to DC socket on the plane and drive an external display with it?

Why not get an iPad (or another (cheaper) tablet) or a Macbook Air for that purpose? There you get a battery life of 8-10 hours and don't have to worry about power sockets on the plane (which very often do not work by the way)

3. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you got me right, the reason I do this is because it would also allow me to use as a mac with a hotel tv wherever I go. I opted for a real mac because I also was thinking of playing games at low res and low quality, not to stress the 9400m gpu. I would run probably Batman's Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, I play it on a GT 430 at 1366x768 at anti aliasing x2 and get better than good frame rates. considering a 9400m is worse by some degree, and considering the screen might be 1024x768 or around there, I would expect good frame rates. I do have a iPad but I easily get bored with it, the games are boring, and to finalize I have a iPhone 4s with a fried wifi/bluetooth chip.

4. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Again, why not simply get a 11" Air? The cheapest 2013/2014 refurb goes for $719, has 9 hours battery life and is great for watching movie (widescreen format), plus can easily be hooked up to your hotel TV.

5. iphone2g&3gfan, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

I am doing this more as a hobby than an actual project. So can you answer the main question, if the board can be started barebones with simply the magsafe board, an ac adapter, and a screwdriver (to short the pins)

thank you, if the listing vanishes, I will just get a latitude d830/630 with the nvs 135m that I can mackintosh with almost every Mac OS X version.