eBay "advertiser" hijacks when I mouse-over (NOT click) eBay website

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Solomani, May 1, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Hi all

I only noticed in the past couple of weeks, an "advertiser" with the domain go.goadvs.com has been forcefully hijacking me away from the eBay website when browsing its pages.

It literally takes me away from the legit eBay website, even when I had not clicked on an ad. I think it may be happening when I even accidentally "mouse-over" some eBay ads (I can't even recall which ads since my eyes are accustomed to ignoring 99% of them). As soon as the mouse-over happens, it whisks me away from eBay and tries to redirect me to their website. Most of the time, it simply freezes the (Safari) screen and goes nowhere (which is actually the best possible outcome since I can simply close/quit Safari easily without needing a hard reboot or force quit).

#1. Has this been a known issue on eBay? I had not noticed it until very recently.

#2. Or is this something to be fixed in Safari?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You should download and run MalwareBytes to check for and remove malware. If it won't run (I've seen it before...I think the malware blocks it) download and run Etrecheck and use the links in the report to remove malware. Then, re-run MalwareBytes.