Ebay advice needed! Possible scam.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tsuchiya, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Morning all,

So I've had a Dell U2711 listed on eBay for the past week now, it's a great monitor but since swapping my Mac Mini for a rMBP it just wasn't really getting used.

Last night it sold, and the buyer paid straight away. My concern however is that:

1) 0 feedback despite being a member since 2011.
    2) Buyer asked to have the monitor sent to an address different from the one listed on the PayPal account used to pay.

A quick Google search tells me that this is a no-no because:

1) No seller protection if the item is sent to a non-verified address.
    2) Open to a chargeback where the money is returned to the buyer.

I called eBay customer service (which is terrible btw for so many reasons), and the person I spoke to didn't see a problem with the transaction and said it would be OK to proceed.

I'm not convinced.

Advice?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, I wouldn't be that worried. I practically never leave feedback because I find the eBay site awful to navigate, and I am tech savy. I would imagine everyone from my family wouldn't do it at all.

And I've ordered stuff from eBay several times, and had it sent to my family at other adresses. Same with my girlfriend.

May I ask what the sale price was?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would not send the monitor to any other place other then the confirmed address posted in paypal.

What did the buyer say about the address change?

4. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

That they'd recently moved.

The seller agreed to resubmit payment when they have updated their address details. I guess I'll see where it goes from here.

T'hain Esh Kelch: the monitor went for £300.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a decent enough explanation and if paypal/ebay is ok with it, and will protect you, i.e., you'll not lose the money then that should increase your confidence.

6. MICHAELSD, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The buyer's feedback can be reset to 0 if they haven't made a recent purchase; would look through complete history to see if he received any feedback. Would be weary if he hasn't even received feedback from a seller.

If you do decide to ship it it would have to be a confirmed address although he can claim you shipped a different item.

In the future there is an option you can set on your listings that blocks buyers with 0 or negative feedback.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Do NOT ship to the different address unless you have confirmation, in a writing, from Paypal that they will provide you with Seller Protection.

8. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I should've known this last bit :(

I'll do so in the future. The buyer did resubmit the payment with the updated address and PayPal listed it as "confirmed" so I'm covered.

In the future I'll be more careful with listings.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Again, if the buyer still wants you to ship to Nigeria you have a 99% chance of a headache.

10. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'll keep that in mind :p He lives about an hour from me, so I guess if he tries to make off with my monitor I'll know where to look.

If I knew I could 100% trust him, I could have personally delivered the monitor last week. Playing it safe with insured, signed for delivery though.

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yeah, you don't want to have him pick it up. Too easy for him to say he never got it. You could videotape him picking up and in a lot of cases PayPal will still side with the buyer.