Ebay advice requested

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spacecadet610, Nov 13, 2013.

1. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I just sold my Apple Cinema Display 27" on ebay for $725.

However, the buyer has a brand new ebay account (opened 11/9/13) and 2 recent positive feedbacks as a buyer of some cheap items. His ebay handle (hnlchkcm) seems like gibberish and he has an oldschool live.com email address. Granted, he already send my money through paypal and has a paypal confirmed address.

Doesn't this guy seem sketchy? I believe I am contractually bound to sell to this guy but I feel like I will be scammed. Am i overreacting? What can I do to protect myself besides sending it with delivery signature confirmation? This person can always do a chargeback later so I feel like I am screwed. What would you guys do?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

If you are uncomfortable with the sale, cancel it and then sell it locally. You can also try selling it in the Marketplace on MacRumors. Otherwise all you can do is send it insured with delivery signature confirmation. Sorry I could not give you more advice.

3. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

If you cancel it, eBay will likely no refund the fees (10% of purchase price).

At this point, it's about as fishy as any eBay transaction, that is to say, even a transaction from a "reputable" buyer can be fishy. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback to buyers, so all that feedback is not worth much.

Just make sure to transfer the money into your bank account before you ship.

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

put it down as damaged cancel sale..

sell it on Amazon so much easier and you don't have to deal with people ripping you off

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It's still better than losing $725.

You are right about feedback. Feedback means nothing to me as a seller can not leave it for a buyer, which is unfair. You can not tell who is the bad buyer, only bad sellers.

Been selling on Ebay for 13 years. It used to be so much easier to tell the bad buyers years ago and cancel their bid before the auction ended, then just ban them from bidding on your auctions.

You must have all you I's dotted and T's crossed when selling on Ebay. It is all you can do to try and protect yourself as a seller. Also does not mean it is a bad buyer he has. I have had many buyers like this over the years and have been lucky to never have a problem. And they have been $1000+ items sold to some of those buyers. You have to start on Ebay with 0 feedback.

OP seems to feel uncomfortable with the buyer. I offered what advice I could, be it little. If OP sells regularly, they should know Ebay rules. If I were uncomfortable, 10% would feel better to lose than $725. I also told them they can follow through as well.

6. spacecadet610 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have over 300 feedback on ebay over the last 10 years or so and never actually had a bad transaction. But I'm sort of fed up with ebay and paypal policies.

I'll plan on shipping out the display tomorrow, but will remove my bank accounts from paypal and maybe deactivate my paypal account. This way I don't think there is any way they can take away the payment that I already sent to my bank account.

Ebay/paypal have pretty much lost me as a customer due to their high fees and bad reputation.

7. benjai macrumors member

I've been on ebay for more years than I can remember and I hardly use it anymore for selling now due to the poor protection it offers sellers. Buyers can make any kind of complaint and get away with it. I've recently switched to gumtree and its better in almost every way.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You are correct in this. All they can do is block any further funds transfers.
    Although, if the CC that funded the payment was stolen, then I'm not 100% sure.

9. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

Take photos. Lots of them. Document that the screen is undamaged before it was packed. Show how it was packed.

If the seller tries to pursue a dodgy refund then at least you'll have proof of what was sent and how it was packed. That will help to convince eBay/PayPal that you're legit.