eBay and Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsheridan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Ok I'm betting on when snow leopard is released those who have just bought leopard within a month or so before SL's release date will get to upgrade for a small price instead of having to shell out for a new OS.

So my question is if I buy a brand new unopened Leopard box off ebay, as it is generally cheaper that Apple, Amazon etc, would I still be valid for the hypothetical offer I predict? How do these upgrade verifications work for purchases not directly through Apple?

Of course I would need to know the SL release date to get my timing of purchase right.
    This is just to try and save a bit of money.

Thanks for reading
    b.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Should be retail purchase date. So you won't know whether it qualifies or not. In addition,

Upgrade pricing = upgrade disk.

Upgrade disks require the original, so you can't really sell the original disk.

3. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

No, I'm not selling anything. I have had leopard for over a year now, I'm just trying to figure out if it'll be cheaper for me to buy a brand new leopard box off of ebay when SL is released then see if I am eligible for obtaining an upgrade disc, than to pay the ~£85 or so and buy the full SL package.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

No, it is done on the date it is purchased from Apple.

5. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Thanks for the cnfm.
    b.

6. Ejg94 macrumors newbie

no you will have to pay full retail but is it really worth waiting for... i have the beta and i wouldn't say it is really any different

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

What does cnfm stand for? Probably not Comité National Français de la Mécanique, right?

8. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

confirmation

I was in a rush . You should try reading my lecture notes :)