ebay and warrenty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chris200x9, Feb 11, 2015.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

My mac's screen just broke. I bought a may 2014 macbook air off of ebay so I know for sure it's under a year old. Will I have any problem bringing it in for repair to an apple store since I didn't buy it from apple or a licensed 3rd party reseller?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you think they'll ask for the original receipt? I don't think it will be an issue, but I haven't purchased a MBP from eBay so I can't say for sure.

When I have brought in my laptop for repair, they never asked for my receipt, but then that was several years ago, things could have changed.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The warranty follows the device, not the owner, and is honored, regardless of where it was purchased.

You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

on the other hand.......I was asked for a receipt for a Mac I bought from a store other than Apple, so one never knows.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They should have never asked for a receipt and if you told them you didn't have one, they are required to still honor the warranty. It doesn't matter who buys a Mac, where they buy it from, or who takes a Mac in for service. If the device is covered by warranty (verified by checking the serial number), they have to honor it. The only variation is if they don't have a record of the original purchase. If you check your warranty status online and it shows the device being covered, you don't need a receipt.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that was the situation of course