eBay Apple Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by eternlgladiator, May 2, 2011.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Before you ask, yes I search around and no I didn't find anything pertaining specifically to my question :)

Now that its out of the way. Has anybody picked up the $1 or $2 apple bumpers on ebay? I found a seller "Ace-lover" selling them for about that price. They actually look pretty good and the reviews on ebay don't sound terrible but I thought I'd poll the the audience on MacRumors and see if anybody here had personal experience. Here's a link to one example. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220777955300#ht_3467wt_1398

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Those look like knock off bumpers to me. Especially since the seller is from China. I got oodles of them from SW-Box as well as a couple other knock off websites. Most of the ones I've gotten have been pretty solid though I know of other users here that have had some issues with them (specifically with the sleep button falling off). I mean, it's only .99 so it's not a huge loss in the event this one turns out to be a dud. It'll take about 2-3 to get to you (unless you opt for some other faster shipping service). Give it a try.

3. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I am done with eBay bumpers. The rubbery part gets discolored easily then just yesterday the plastic part has started to discolor as well.

4. sordan macrumors member

I don't know anything about the link you provided but I recently purchased a white bumper from this seller http://cgi.ebay.com/Frame-bumper-Ca..._MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item1c1ae4d99e and it is awesome, especially for about $3. If it's a fake it's a damn good one, as the packaging was identical to the official one Apple sent me during the whole free case program. The bumper it's self so far has been very good quality, no discoloring or loose buttons.

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

How does it compare to the original Apple one? I am interested in buying actually.

6. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think I'm going to pick up a few and just go all in on them. I figure I'll pick up one of each color and if I like them great. If not, oh well. I've pissed away money on worse things.

7. alukado macrumors member

I am using some China based sites currently,
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stylish-protective-bumper-frame-case-for-iphone-4-black-47522
    http://www.slickgate.com/new-soft-silicone-frame-case-for-iphone4-black-color_p961.html
    These 2 cases work like a charm,especially for 1-3 bucks, really a nice deal.

8. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I also get my bumpers from DealExtreme and they're excellent! I like to dye the edges black with some Rit dye, too :p
    (FYI, if you want to try this, be sure to remove the buttons before you boil these, the plastic on the inside will totally warp and render the buttons useless)

[​IMG]

9. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I just ordered them this morning. I'll post back with a review when I get them in a week or two. Coming from China it'll take a little while. Hopefully the seller figured out I know what I'm talking about based on our back and forth and will send me their best quality fakes. I know that's a bit of an oxy moron but anybody who's dealt with knock offs before will know that the sellers always have better and worse versions.

10. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

That looks pretty cool. Nice work!

11. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Where should i buy the bumpers from?

Deal Extreme or eBay?

I had some bad discoloration from ebay... and i was wondering if it does that with every bumper you buy that's a knockoff?

does the original bumpers (colored) get discolored like the knock offs?

12. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'll let you know when I get mine. I'm not expecting perfection but for $10, 6 bumpers ain't bad.

13. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Update: Apple is sending me a free bumper after a small complaining session about my signal falling a bit in my office at work. I'll take pictures of everything (package, bumper, etc) when it gets here later this week so I can compare it to the knock offs I just bought yesterday. I asked apple to send me the white one figuring if anybody had the best color requirements it was them. If the knock of white one can hold a flame to the real one I'll know I did alright. Here's to hoping...

14. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Update: I got all my bumpers yesterday in the mail and I'll say they look pretty good but I can tell they're fakes. The white and blue ones are the worst for different reasons. Compared to my real apple while bumper the eBay one is more yellow on the soft plastic but you can only really tell when they're side by side. The blue one just appears to be made a little less carefully. I could probably clean it up with an exacto knife but the other four will keep me and my lady happy for now. She just wanted pink. I'll rotate my real while bumper with the fake black/green ones and be fine with it. For 10 bucks I'm not disappointed considering apple's prices.

Also, I've seen pictures on the forum of other fakes with lower quality buttons that don't have as fine of cuts for the volume buttons or a different polished color. These are all fine and I have no complaints.

For the record, the seller was only selling them individually in their store. I messaged them on eBay and requested a side sale for all 6 @ $10. They did a little negotiating but I'm fine the end price. The username is ace-lover

15. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Got any pics you can post? I'd like to see!

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yes, the originals also discolor easily. I destroyed two Apple pink ones trying to clean them after they became stained within a month of use, and there are numerous posts on this for all the colors.

I like the Rit dye idea though.

17. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Here you go.

Having trouble adding pics. Here's the first.

Its white vs "white". Apple on left. Kirf on right.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      216.3 KB
      Views:
  18. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

this is the apple white one vs kirf black one for button comparison.

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      181.9 KB
      Views:
  19. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

all six different colors in packaging.

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      206.6 KB
      Views:
  20. kicko macrumors 65816

i dont really see much difference in the knockoffs vs the real apple bumper, other then the $30

21. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

The pictures don't really show the differences. As I said in my first review, the only visual differences I can easily see are between apple white and kirf white. also, my blue one is clearly of lower quality but it appears more like a manufacturing mistake than a large error and I'm sure if you bought ten it would only occur on one or maybe two so I wouldn't be afraid. The soft part of the rubber on them does feel slightly different in my hand vs the apple one but not enough for me to care.

22. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Hey man I love the pics. But one more request! (sorry)
    I just got my Knockoff from DX the White Bumper.

Could you have a side by side comparison of the color difference of the rubber/silicone of the Original and the Kirf.

The one i received from DX was that the Bumper was two toned. the silicone/rubber material is somewhat grayish. I heard some bumpers from ebay. The rubber part is yellowish or really white.

Thanks!

23. kicko macrumors 65816

I have already made my conclusion based on my own knocks and a buddy with a real one. The differences are so subtle you'd be foolish to buy a legit.

24. eternlgladiator, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

See post 17. If you need more let me know. It's not really that big a difference but you can still tell.

Your post is a little unclear but it sounds you ordered from DX and got a white bumper that is white and grayish. The kirf ones that I've seen, mine included, are white and a yellowish color. They only really appear yellow when compared to something else.

25. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I meant if you can get a different angle shot or a nicer picture of the White Real Bumper vs. the Kirf.

I'd just like to see the main difference of the whiteness and the difference of color of the rubber/silicone.