eBay Applecare Legit or Not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccashman92, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

2. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I got mine from ebay and I'm only 6 months away from the 3 year mark, never had a problem with it, and I've had quite a few repairs done.

3. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a known fact that people sell fake Applecare on eBay.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

People do sell fake AppleCare on eBay. One way to protect yourself against Apple denying a claim is to be sure you get the physical package with the printed serial number, and not just a serial number via email when you order.

5. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

So I want the actual physical copy, not just a email? Gotcha.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im sure they do and you have to watch out for it but again this persons seller rating is 100% so its a 99.9% chance of being a legit apple care.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, Ditto. Do not buy it from Ebay unless you can get a sealed boxed copy and NO CODES. Those codes are a scam.

8. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip!!

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Actually that's not a logical conclusion to draw. Often these "code only" purchases register just fine, and the buyer leaves positive feedback. Then, a few months later Apple catches on to the seller's scam and requests proof of purchase from the buyer. Since all the buyer has is an emailed code, their Applecare is voided and it's too late to seek any recourse from ebay or PayPal. To add insult to injury, the buyer's positive feedback remains to lure other suckers in.

In short OP, don't buy Applecare off ebay unless it is a boxed version. Otherwise you have no proof of purchase, and Apple can invalidate your Applecare. It has happened to several. There's a mile-long thread here about it. This topic comes up every few weeks so there's more where that came from if you care to Mroogle it.

10. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the details. I don't use Mroogle, sorry.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

is it the best way to do it? No, but after looking at the thread you linked it seems that the vast majority of people that bought apple care off ebay didnt have a problem. both with the emailed code and the box.

im with you that you probably shouldnt buy apple care off ebay at all but it seems that the the reward is worth the risk probability wise.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

compare the price with what apple sells it for thru its official channels, well seriously, what do you think you're really getting...........:p

Another question, would people buy counterfeit applecare if it didn't work much of the time?

And another question, can you afford to be one of the people who get their applecare canceled if its found to be fake?

13. KirkL macrumors 6502

Why do they sell it for so cheap on eBay? I mean, what are their sources? :confused:

14. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna guess generated codes, or bulk. Just a guess.

15. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

i just bought a 17" '7 applecare, i bought it from a random person but i purchased it knowing full well it was an 'unopened box'.

after ALOT of exploring on mac forums it seems where people come unstuck is apple ask to see tax receipt or box proving that you purchased it.

these ebayers can't provide that, and i asked an bay seller how much for a boxed copy, his price went from "$200 AUD – code only" to "$450 AUD - boxed"

does that answer your question?

funnily enough i am yet to receive the actual laptop but have the applecare waiting and ready, and if in the case i have been ripped off, ill submit a complaint with paypal within 45 days!

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Correct. I have a sealed, boxed copy of MobileMe Family coming from an eBay seller. I specifically chose one that sent me a retail box and not just an emailed code. If that isn't right (my renewal is later this month) I still have the chance to leave negative feedback and get a refund.

17. KirkL macrumors 6502

I meant for the legitimate sellers. I'm just wondering how they can sell at massive discounts. I wasn't aware Apple sold them in Bulk and at such a high discount. I mean you can purchase it for even $100 - that's more than 50% off.

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

They might be inventory from liquidated businesses. I'll bet eBay is where a lot of inventory shows up after businesses go under.

19. jreuschl macrumors 6502

When I emailed Apple to transfer the ownership of a MBP to a new owner, they asked me to provide a proof of purchase for the Applecare as a box or a receipt.

20. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I just read through the mile-long thread and only the OP out of the 26 pages had a problem.
    I personally used ebay purchased Apple Care on my Macbook, former Macbook Pro, current Macbook Pro, iMac, and several iPods and never had a problem. All I ever received was the activation code. As long as you get the confirmation email form Apple, and the Protection Policy letter a couple weeks later you are set.

21. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

22. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

+1.

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

From Apple $349, from Amazon $316, from eBay $135. Huge difference here for the same coverage.

24. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

+1