Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I saw a post here today about finding and buying AppleCare on eBay. Are there any drawbacks to obtaining it this way? (Other than not receiving it of course) Can it be purchased from a 3rd party like that?

Does anyone have any other Apple buying/moneysaving tips? Do you consider it worthwhile to order from Apple online to save on taxes? And what about those companies/websites that offer so many "freebies" with a purchase from them of a computer?

Obviously I am intending to buy soon and really appreciate the help! Thanks!!

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I dont see any problems as long as its sealed. Mac Pro Systems sells them on ebay for cheap. I dunno though, as I've never bought Applecare, cuz my Mac is about 6 years old. :D

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
kwajaln said:
I saw a post here today about finding and buying AppleCare on eBay. Are there any drawbacks to obtaining it this way? (Other than not receiving it of course) Can it be purchased from a 3rd party like that?

Does anyone have any other Apple buying/moneysaving tips? Do you consider it worthwhile to order from Apple online to save on taxes? And what about those companies/websites that offer so many "freebies" with a purchase from them of a computer?

Obviously I am intending to buy soon and really appreciate the help! Thanks!!

i purchased the applecare package for my powerbook from a guy who advertised it on craigslist. it was unopened and unused, and i got it for significantly less than regular retail price ($175). i registered my powerbook with applecare, and have had no problems at all. i'd say go for it, and just confirm that it is an unopened/unused package, and you should be fine.

can't really speak to your other questions. i've purchased things from apple online, but have had to pay sales tax (they have a physical presence in most states here, and they must impose a sales tax in these states), so i don't think that's something you can get around here. not sure about outside of the u.s., though.

marianne

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.