eBay Batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by patrickdunn, Mar 22, 2010.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I was thinking about picking up a T2i and was looking at all costs involved and came across this battery on eBay.

LINK

It is from HK. My general questions are:

1. Will it hold a charge like the OEM batteries?
    2. Will they hurt my camera?
    3. How different can batteries be?

Thanks in advance for your guidance/feedback.

2. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

I would like to know too. I am thinking about buying either some spare batteries or a handgrip. I've seen some for like £5, the OEM ones sell for about £25+. Huge savings here >_<

Not wanting to hi-jack your thread but can someone give comments on cheap handgrips also?

EDIT:

After some quick searching, seems that ebay batteries arent that bad:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1340918.html

perhaps buy the ones with high MAH and not the cheapest? :S

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have bought knock offs before, and never had a problem. I don't remember who i bought from (4-5 years ago), but they were on par with Canon OEM, which is made by some other company.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

I bought some that were crap (one died quickly, the other is good for less than 100 shots per charge). Other people have bought them and been very happy. Check the feedback of the seller, assuming they don't fail and hurt the camera, you don't have much to lose.

5. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

I've bought a decent number of batteries for my camera's and camcorders over the years. Generally you want to find the listings where the actual number of milliamp/hours is mentioned as a lot of the cheaper ones are lower capacity and therefore, lower actual usage.

I picked up some 1700mh batteries for my Cannon 35mm where the factory ones were around 1200mh and the cheap HK ones worked really well. On the other hand, I also picked up some for my Vixia HF-11 that required a separate charger and I had to clear a warning message on the camera each time I powered it on to record something. Minor annoyance, but worth remembering if your OEM battery has a vendor provided proprietary chip to control it.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I had some mixed results buying the batteries for my cameras from eBay. Sometimes they hold a charge, and sometimes they don't. They tend to be fortunately very inexpensive, so even at a 50% success rate they're still a good buy.