eBay Builds Tech That Uses iPhone X TrueDepth Camera and ARKit to Navigate Apps With Head Motion

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

eBay has created a new technology it's calling "HeadGaze," which tracks the user's head movement through the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera and ARKit so that they can navigate around eBay without touching the screen. The technology was created by Muratcan Cicek, an eBay intern with motor impairments who was looking for a way to shop online independently.

[​IMG]

The eBay team built a model that tracks the user's head using 3D information from ARKit, creating a virtual cursor that follows the head's motion in every direction. Then, designated buttons on the screen can be activated depending on how long the cursor has been in one spot. These buttons can perform actions like scrolling down, moving to another page, selecting a product to purchase, and more, all without touching the screen.

Cicek says that the technology's modular code design will let developers "easily integrate" HeadGaze's features into existing or future apps:
    eBay has developed an app called "HeadSwipe" as a way to test the HeadGaze technology. HeadSwipe is focused on browsing and buying items in eBay's deals section, and can be navigated entirely through head motions on iPhone X. Both HeadGaze and HeadSwipe are available open source on GitHub.

Next, the team is also looking at technology that tracks eye movements, and potentially fusing the two experiences together in future apps.

Article Link: eBay Builds Tech That Uses iPhone X TrueDepth Camera and ARKit to Navigate Apps With Head Motion

2. mehdiesf macrumors newbie

mehdiesf

3. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

For anyone with mobility problems, this is a really useful tool. I would have expected it to come from Leap or Apple itself, not eBay. But I guess that shows how Apple's "Kit" frameworks are enabling some interesting innovations.

4. pablojavi macrumors newbie

pablojavi

Although I can’t see the average user utilizing this, it will be great for accessibility uses and those who really need it!

5. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Imagine if they did this to Tinder? The neck ache some people would get

6. aardwolf macrumors 6502

New ads: "HEY YOU! LOOK HERE! NOW LOOK HERE! Thank you for your purchase"

7. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Love comments like this.

This innovation, aside from those with disabilities, may be a real boon as Apple seems to have gone all in with phones too big for my thumb to reach across. (I’m looking at you, iPhone SE, as you sadly fade to the horizon.)

8. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

9. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

You do realize the iPhone SE & 5S work perfectly , right?

10. linkmaster02 macrumors member

I would love to hear your definition of "work perfectly"...

11. MrJeffreyGee macrumors regular

MrJeffreyGee

eBay made this!?! Well that turned my head.

Definitely a good thing.

12. EndersShadow macrumors newbie

This will be helpful for not just accessability but hand wankers, game movement controls, and advertisers will use this to see what you focus on the longest.

13. Justanotherfanboy macrumors 6502

Justanotherfanboy

5S is a bit of a stretch... but as far as SE, I’d define “work perfectly” as: runs latest software & is blazing fast, on par w/ Android phones years newer and hundreds of dollars more expensive.

14. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I think this will be well served for people with accessibility issues - great idea and hope it works out.

15. billybobfred macrumors newbie

I would love to see tech that can track your eye movement. Imagine if your phone or computer could scroll and navigate based on what your eyes were focused on. That would be much more useful than using head movement.

16. liberte1776 macrumors regular

Neat. Now we just need an app on the AppStore to try it...

17. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Indeed I do, although not perfectly. At some point the A9 processor will struggle with current software and the experience will become annoyingly laggy. (That’s why I dropped my 6, and no, an acceptable answer for me is not to just ignore software updates.) Might happen with iOS 12, might not. An SE I buy now might run well today, but that’s today.

18. Bistroengine macrumors regular

Bistroengine

This guy should be immediately poached by Apple. Ha!

19. Bin Cook macrumors regular

Nobody post a one word play on the name will they, the mods will mess their knickers.

20. Adithya007 macrumors regular

I remember Apple having their own version of this system called SwitchControl in their accessibility settings menu for years now. They're almost the same I suppose.

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’d be shocked if FaceID accessibility features aren’t well under development inside Apple for when it makes its way to the Mac.

22. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

My aunt uses a 5S . Trust me , it’s more than fine. It runs smoothly.

23. Justanotherfanboy macrumors 6502

Justanotherfanboy

I’ve always had the latest iPhones at launch since iPhone 4, but recently had my X stolen & had no insurance...
    I bought a 6S to tide me over until the 6.1” LCD iPhone is released & I’ll tell ya: other than a few of the betas hosing the battery life for a week or two- sure, I absolutely miss the bigger screen & FaceID, but performance-wise... I have zero complaints using a 3 year old phone; even having JUST come from the X.
    Apple’s devices are simply astounding in their longevity!

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Kang: "Dammit Chang! Stop looking at the pink Watch band! I told you, we are
    not buying a pink band!"

Chang: "No fair! You always get to choose the watch bands. Why can't I choose this time?!"

1*EkJeSPXIuG5_i4teqATqdw.jpeg

25. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

Did you have iCloud & FaceID enabled?