eBay buyer opened a case, is this worth arguing over?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Feb 14, 2014.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I just sold a Digital Camera on eBay that was received as a gift, and opened and used once to take like 5 pictures and thats it.

In the auction title I put NIB because for all intents and purposes I would consider this camera new. I realize that was probably a mistake, however I cleared stated in the description that:

"The camera was opened and used to take about 5 pictures, and then returned to the box, and hasn't been used since. It is a great camera, but was received as a gift, and I have no use for it."

The buyer sent me this message: "I received the item that I purchased - you described the item as new - it is not new - the camera is out of the original packaging, the battery is charged, the sd card is in the camera"

Now I realize that putting NIB in the title was a mistake, but all she had to do was READ the auction to know that the camera was used once... Is this worth me arguing over, or will eBay just take her side anyway?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

technically it wasn't new in box. i would have put it as used and said mint condition.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, NIB means just that.....not "opened and used (just a little)".......I suspect you're stuck with the blame on this one

4. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Agreed. New in box is just like purchasing from the store. If you went to Best Buy and they sold you a "new" camera, you discovered the box had been opened, things unwrapped, etc. and they then told you "Oh, well, someone used it to take a few pictures" would you just be like "Ok, cool!" Probably not.

Just curious, what is the buyer asking that you do about it? Anything? Or is she just pointing out that your title was a little misleading? Or is she wanting a discount or to return it?

I can see both sides. You know it's as good as new. As far as the buyer knows you've been using it for months and just kept it in really good condition.

5. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Maybe just try to reason with her to get her to drop the case? The NIB listing was a mistake, but you did explain in the auction that the camera had been taken out of the box. If she is any type of decent, reasonable person, she'll have a little understanding and drop the case.

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well she requested a "replacement item" which I can't do, but I sent her a message pointing out that the description said it had been opened, we will see what she says.

Perhaps I will offer her a discount, but I might come out better if she sends it back and I re-list it.. Might even get more for it this time lol

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It is not worth arguing over and eBay will take her side.

I normally would say the buyer should eat the shipping costs, however since it was your mistake listing the camera as NIB when it clearly was not, the buyer should be made completely whole, including her cost of returning it to you.

It would probably be easiest to provide her with a return shipping label. Otherwise, have her send you a copy of the receipt with the shipping cost on it and refund everything once the item has been returned to you.

Write her the following response:

Say nothing else. If she tries fishing for a partial refund, send the same message above again. Repeat until she returns the camera or goes away. In the case, it is absolutely critical that you select return for refund from the menu and not just refund. If you choose refund, the buyer gets her money back, and you get nothing in return.

Good luck.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Good advice above. I would just add:

When you realist as new / mint, you'll probably take a loss. May as well offer her that loss and avoid the 2 extra shipping charges too. Maybe:

"It was not my intention to deceive you. I stand by my sale and will make this right. I can:

Discount $20
    Accept a return to this address

Sorry for the inconvenience, please let me know your preference"

9. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Both good options. I'd say offer a discount first. I would aplogize and acknowledge my mistake but reiterate that it is basically a new camera. If she doesn't want it offer to refund the full price plus a reasonable amount for return shipping. It was your mistake and she has no way of knowing how much that camera has been used. Just seems like the right thing to do.

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, what about the fact that she requested a "replacement item" I assume eBay can't force me to ship her a new camera right? lol

11. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I wouldn't think so. I don't know how they would, you're not a store. If she's reasonable she should be content with an apology and if she chooses to return it coming out even on the deal.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think they can. Ebay will take her side, but you should be good if you offer her the choice between a small discount or a return and full refund. If you offer that and she refuses both I can't imagine that Ebay would take her side and try to force you to go and buy a brand new camera to send to her.

13. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

If you value your feedback score, offer a 25% discount or full refund including all shipping. Buyers sometimes gloss over descriptions and miss the disclaimers. NIB means new in box, no getting around that.

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

I agree with the buyer. You're the one listing it and it should be listed appropriately.

I've bought a few used DS games on eBay. If you say it's Used - Like New (or whatever the appropriate response is) and it should come with the case and manual, but only comes with the cartridge, I'm annoyed - especially when I read the full product description that contradicts its listed condition. It says right next to the condition what condition the game should be in.

Typically, I'll either low bid or pass once it gets past the sale price of its actual condition. If it's still a deal, I'll typically buy without comment, but if there were some sort of problem, I would certainly complain.

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Send her a message and say that you CAN'T send her another one, but you can either give her a small discount to fix the problem there and then or refund (if she sends it back).

If she leaves you negative feedback, just note the issue in a reply.

FYI - People don't read past the pictures and description when stuff is listed as new, because there SHOULDN'T be anything TO read.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you misrepresented the sale, and I'm not trying to sound harsh, you options are limited, especially if you value your feedback.

I'd either offer a steep discount as noted, or take it back. If she disputes it with ebay, you're going to lose anyways.

Chalk it up to a lessons learned experience and be sure to be accurate as possible when listing items on eBay.

Good luck

17. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just an update, she sent the camera back, I was worried it would be broken or something, but everything is in the same condition as it was when I sent it. I gave her a refund and am going to realist it. I'm keeping the listing the same just changing the NIB in the title to MIB! LOL :)

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Shoot in my experience this seems to be the norm lol!

I love ebay but man they and the buyers can be a pain to deal with!

19. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

So the saga continues...... The original buyer returned the camera to me, with everything in tact. I re-listed it and it, and it sold for $70 more then it did the first time. That was on Mar. 8th. I shipped it, and it was delivered on the 13th and the second buyer left me feedback that said "All perfect & mint."

Now today the second buyer opened a case! He says "After initial battery charge. Went to recharge and will not recharge. It is useless and not operational. Help!!!"

Everything worked fine when I received the camera in Dec. I don't know if he changed his mind, if he's doing something wrong, or if the thing is actually broken?

It still has the original Warranty paperwork in there, hasn't been filled out or registered though, could he (or me for that matter) get Nikon to replace the defective parts without the original receipt?

Argg I hate eBay!!!!

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since it is still under warranty if something is actually defective then Nikon should replace it. However if the buyer doesn't want to go through the trouble of having it replaced under warranty Ebay will probably still take their side and you can get it fixed after they return it to you.