eBay counterfeit RAM

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
289
0
Okay so here's the deal. I bought this RAM on eBay advertised as Samsung DDR2 667 MHz PC2-5400. Trying the RAM in my computer, I found that it runs at 533 MHz PC2-4300. Checking CPU-Z on XP via Boot Camp, the manufacturer shows up as a bunch of zeros 00000 instead of "Samsung". Closely examining the label on the RAM, it's pretty clearly evident that it's not genuine. The sticker is pixelated and appears pretty obvious that it was printed out of a computer and cut poorly with lines not even straight. I contacted another person who bought the same RAM from this seller, and he has been having problems with his RAM too, as well as noticing the fake label.

I contacted the seller and told him that the RAM does not run as advertised. I did not mention to him that I suspect the RAM is counterfeit. He agreed to a refund. I sent the package back, and the tracking number reports that it was delivered, yet the seller states that he's been home all day and didn't receive a package. I'm not sure if he's being entirely honest. Although maybe it was delivered to a wrong address and he'll get a hold of it in a few days.

Is there anything that I could do at this point to get my money back? eBay has some thing about "items significantly not as described". I'm aware that eBay has a dispute console and PayPal has some kind of chargeback, but I'm not entirely sure how they work. What could I do since the item is not in my possession anymore?

Can anyone offer some help? Thanks
 

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
10,409
11,695
UK
1. (for idle curiosity) who's the seller?

2. You can get the money back from Paypal though you will need to get the RAM checked out by an "unbiased third party" (which may cost more than the RAM), then you have to return to the seller (via insured mail) and Paypal will refund you (that's what happened to me when I bought non working RAM on eBay.)

It is best to go through Paypal as if you contact eBay that's probably what they'll tell you to do...

Also If you paid by Credit card it may be easier to do a chargeback on the card (though Paypal may hate you forever)


EDIT:
I contacted the seller and told him that the RAM does not run as advertised. I did not mention to him that I suspect the RAM is counterfeit. He agreed to a refund. I sent the package back, and the tracking number reports that it was delivered, yet the seller states that he's been home all day and didn't receive a package. I'm not sure if he's being entirely honest. Although maybe it was delivered to a wrong address and he'll get a hold of it in a few days.
The seller is lying to you probably, it will be difficult to get the money from Paypal as you returned the item already.


I think the moral on this tale is: NEVER EVER EVER BUY RAM ON EBAY.
 

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
6,595
2
Seattle, WA
dreamsINdigital said:
Okay so here's the deal. I bought this RAM on eBay advertised as Samsung DDR2 667 MHz PC2-5400. Trying the RAM in my computer, I found that it runs at 533 MHz PC2-4300. Checking CPU-Z on XP via Boot Camp, the manufacturer shows up as a bunch of zeros 00000 instead of "Samsung". Closely examining the label on the RAM, it's pretty clearly evident that it's not genuine. The sticker is pixelated and appears pretty obvious that it was printed out of a computer and cut poorly with lines not even straight. I contacted another person who bought the same RAM from this seller, and he has been having problems with his RAM too, as well as noticing the fake label.

I contacted the seller and told him that the RAM does not run as advertised. I did not mention to him that I suspect the RAM is counterfeit. He agreed to a refund. I sent the package back, and the tracking number reports that it was delivered, yet the seller states that he's been home all day and didn't receive a package. I'm not sure if he's being entirely honest. Although maybe it was delivered to a wrong address and he'll get a hold of it in a few days.

Is there anything that I could do at this point to get my money back? eBay has some thing about "items significantly not as described". I'm aware that eBay has a dispute console and PayPal has some kind of chargeback, but I'm not entirely sure how they work. What could I do since the item is not in my possession anymore?

Can anyone offer some help? Thanks
My dad went through the same thing except with a signed basketball. When he went through everything about reporting it to ebay, it ended up costing him more than it was worth. If you used paypal, the best thing you can do is report it.
 

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
289
0
The seller goes by the username davematthewsrs.

So at this point, a chargeback would not be possible, correct?

I paid with money I had in PayPal, not through a credit card.

I only paid $160 for the 2 x 1 GB and would rather not pay a lot more to get my money back.

The other person who bought the same RAM is in the process of a return as well, with the package in transit. I'm waiting to hear how it goes for him.
 

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
10,409
11,695
UK
dreamsINdigital said:
The seller goes by the username davematthewsrs.

So at this point, a chargeback would not be possible, correct?

I paid with money I had in PayPal, not through a credit card.

The other person who bought the same RAM is in the process of a return as well, with the package in transit. I'm waiting to hear how it goes for him.
It's probably worth a try whether it would work or not I'm not confident (Paypal aren't very nice)

Remember, never pay by direct debit with Paypal and try and keep your balance 0 and pay be credit card.

Hmmm he seems OK (from feedback), his feedback's higher %age is higher than mine because of the dodgy RAM I bought, but not so high people wouldn't leave a negative, so he's probably normally OK.

I assume you haven't left feedback if he doesn't "find" the RAM at the very least leave him negative feedback.
 

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
129
0
Canada
dreamsINdigital

If you have an email/eBay message from the Seller agreeing to refund your money ->Keep it. If not, get the Seller to do so via eMail or eBay. Very important!!

Contact the shipper and get a proof of delivery to his address (signature & name of signing person).

Both are -> Proof for PayPay to refund your $$$.

File a payment dispute -directly with PayPal- skip eBay -> if/when you have/get the eBay message or email from the person.

Do *not* file any negative feedback on eBay. This Seller could be honest & not know himself.
 

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
289
0
I do have eBay messages of everything and backups sent to email.

The package was sent USPS priority mail, which only includes a delivery confirmation, but not proof of delivery or a signature from the recipient, I believe.

I have not left any feedback yet.

Should I just wait another day or two in case the package does show up? The address is an apartment, maybe there was some confusion. Or should I wait to see how the other buyer's refund goes?
 

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
129
0
Canada
dreamsINdigital said:
I do have eBay messages of everything and backups sent to email.

The package was sent USPS priority mail, which only includes a delivery confirmation, but not proof of delivery or a signature from the recipient, I believe.

I have not left any feedback yet.

Should I just wait another day or two in case the package does show up? The address is an apartment, maybe there was some confusion. Or should I wait to see how the other buyer's refund goes?
I would go ahead & file the PayPal dispute - noting the goods have been returned according to USPS & the Seller has agreed to refund the $$. Be polite, don't file neg. feedback on eBay or PayPal (If this happens to you again-I suggest you pay the extra fee for the sig. & name-USPS).

And yes do track the other buyer's refund process. If the Seller is a fraudster this helps with getting your $$$ back, especially if the Sellers claims he/she never received that buyer's returned product either.
 

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
593
0
Pittsburgh,PA
when i recieved a dead 1st gen ipod Paypal nor ebay did jack. If you file a complaint and the seller has to agree or somthing, its messed up and useless so now i have a nice paperweight
 

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
10,409
11,695
UK
Clydefrog said:
when i recieved a dead 1st gen ipod Paypal nor ebay did jack. If you file a complaint and the seller has to agree or somthing

If you file a Paypal complaint and the seller doesn't respond within 10 days the buyer automatically gets their money back. Though you have to get the item checked out by a third party to make sure it's actually broken.
 

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
4,042
336
.. London ..
Macs are more picky about RAM than PCs.

I'd never buy RAM from strangers over eBay.

I've brought RAM from three different OEM places, all have worked out fine:

1. A local computer fair, from a stallholder who is there every week, and is well known by the community there.

2. Crucial.com - major internet seller, very highly respected as regards quality (with some grumbling over their prices)

3. Another MacRumours member, with a long history on MR - I met him at a cafe, and installed and verified the RAM worked in my PB before paying.

Take care - RAM is worth more than its weight in gold (and sometimes more than its weight in cocaine).

Take appropriate precautions, as you would when buying gold (or cocaine) from a stranger.
 

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
289
0
Well this is what the seller said when I asked him about the package, but again, there's no way to tell if he's being honest or not...

I have kept wide open eyes, I have even went to the post - office with your traking number that said it was delivered and they were unable to open a case until it's missing for 7 day's. When I get mail/packages one of two things happens, I am there to get it, or I am not and they leave me a notice. I have not recieved a package at all. I am sorry, but it has just not yet shown up yet. I am still kepping my eye's open... And I trust that you sent it, but it has just not yet arrived. I also checked with my neighbors just to make sure that it was not miss delivered..
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
dreamsINdigital said:
Well this is what the seller said when I asked him about the package, but again, there's no way to tell if he's being honest or not...
He's screwing you over. Hard to be an honest person these days...:(
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.