eBay deal, seems a bit weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gochi, May 15, 2013.

1. gochi macrumors 6502

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Just trying to make a point to sell his over someones else's most likely.

It also looks like a rMBP. It doesn't say MacBook Pro on the bottom of the display and it's using an adapter for the charger. I also don't see a IR port either.

3. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

oh yeah... wow

is this a scam?

----------

so he's essentially lying?

saying its a macbook 17, but hes given a picture of a retina.

i also msgd him since i couldn't bid (international buyer) and he said he would just cancel the auction and relist it if i can offer more.

lol.

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yeah that sounds fishy!

Or he got lazy and tossed up a picture of a rMBP he should of included more pictures.

My eyes aren't that good but since I own a rMBP I know one when I see one lol. I would look elsewhere.

Apple has them refurbished but this is the only one they have ( in the US )
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I personally would not buy a Macbook that old for $1300. Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.

6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

stay away.... too risky... in photo there is a retina... you can see the magsafe 2 adapter....

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I don't think you could get an SSD upgrade done by Apple. Also I don't think they ever carried a 240 GB Intel 520 SSD.

Don't buy, plenty of other used MBPs should be available.

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

The pic comes up on Google with tons of results, but the serial is legit. The SSD must've been brought into Apple by the seller for installation (if they do that?).

Their previous feedbacks look legit but considering they only have 6 feedbacks and the red flags this listing has brought up, I'd look elsewhere.

9. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks all, i probably wont buy this.

mac users are smart!

10. MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

Moving away from that is a good idea. If you look at the introductory text it states "New...other".

Really? A 2011 computer that's "new?" He's already misrepresenting the ad right there.

It also says "Guaranteed not DOA" and yet at the top of the ad it says "No returns accepted."

Good 'ol eBay. Is eBay, by chance a latin word for "Buyer Beware?"

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

It should be in this case. Good 'ol eBay is still like the wild west...

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

everything about that add looks like a scam ,

wrong pictures , rambles on about people piecing together systems and selling them , LIVES in canada but only ships to the USA , The guy says he is moving and needs the room.

sounds like a hit and run to me.

13. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

You would be covered through Ebay protection on the transaction, but would also recommend to avoid since does look fishy.

14. chambone, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Either this guy is clueless about what he's selling, or he's acting like it, trying to attract bidders who think there's a bargain to be had.

In any case, even if this listing were perfectly fine, I myself wouldn't send money to someone with a feedback score of 6. Especially if it's the type that likes to waste people's time by canceling ended auctions.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

16. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Indeed. It seems like they're trying to sell a 2011 but using a 15" rMBP picture so someone will think they're getting a bargain due to clueless seller. If someone's going to get rich off this it wont be the buyer.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple does NOT do SSD upgrades in-store.

Nor will Apple let you bring in your own SSD or HDD and install it for you. There's a good reason for this - how does Apple know whether or not the device works with your Mac/OSx? And what if Apple tech breaks the drive when installing it? Apple would have to replace it. And how would apple even know if the SSD/HDD you want put in even works in the first place?

I would avoid this sale - too many oddities. And how can you not have room for a laptop?