Ebay Displayport to VGA/HDMI/DVI adapters

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inconsequential, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I need a way of connecting my MacBook Pro to VGA, DVI and HDMI devices.

I don't particularly want to buy Apple's expensive adapters, but ebay have ones for like £5.

Do I need:

1. Mini Displayport to VGA.
    2. Mini Displayport to DVI and then adapter to HDMI?

or do I need a separate Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter?

Cheers!

2. Horney macrumors newbie

I've got a Mini Display > HDMI converter that I bought from Amazon.co.uk for £14. Works a treat and is great for streaming HD internet TV to my 1080p 37" telly. I also love using my telly as a big screen for editing photos in Photoshop. Get one, they're awesome.

Nick

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just get three separate adapters, and pass on the DVI->HDMI adapter, as it can be the wrong type of DVI or just cause problems. Plus if you have one of the 2010 or newer MBPs, you can get audio through the MDP->HDMI adapter.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you find an adapter that is mDP to DVI-I, then that should be all you need because DVI-I can carry both, digital and analog signal. Most seem to be DVI-D though so you would need a separate mDP to VGA adapter.

5. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Apparently DP doesn't output analog signals, the Apple mDP to VGA is active and converts the Digital signal to analog in the adapter itself.

Anybody got a good cheap mDP to VGA adapter?

6. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i tried monoprice and found this for $13:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5107&seq=1&format=2

i bought the official apple one from bestbuy and man the quality is on tv is horrible, just recently bought Minidisplay to HDMI

7. Monoprice macrumors newbie

Also keep in mind our various mini displayport adapters do not support audio. If you require audio, you will have to use something like 6331 or 5969. Thanks!