Ebay first time seller and selling a Macbook Pro? (Questions)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spazma7ik, Feb 25, 2011.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

So I have a:

17" 2010 i7 (2.66GhZ)
    AntiGlare 1920x1200
    500GB (7200 rpm)
    4GB RAM

I am really tempted to sell this and pay a few hundred for a new 17" and I know my best bet is on Ebay, but I can't help but feel uneasy about doing it there.

1) Firstly, is it even likely that I'll get a buyer being a first time seller and having it be something so expensive?

2) Is there a way that I can make sure that I see the money before I ship the item? That scares me most, also that people can say that it came to them smashed or something, then what?

3) I tried craigslist, but no replies to my postings. Right now I'm requesting $2300 (I paid close to $3k for it), am I asking for too little and just being impatient and desperate? What should I expect to be paid?

Sorry for so many questions, but answers to them all would be much appreciated.

2. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Selling....

Go check out ebay. Once you login (you have to be registered) you can see what the listings are that have already sold so can get a feel for what they are going for. I think $2300 is likely very high, as the new quad cores are only a little more than that. ebay also has some ability to protect buyers and sellers, but there is always risk.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

try craigslist first, if no one buys it, then ebay should be your last resort.

- also, cancel all bids from people with o feedback, or less then 5-10 feedback.

and check their feedback.

4. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

Have you bought anything from ebay? you say you're a first time seller, but if you have some feedback at all already then you should be ok.

5. negatv1 macrumors 6502

eBay has always been my choice in selling off my 'old' machines. Craigslist is full of lowballers on a good day, and its even worse when there are tons of people looking to upgrade after an announcement of new hardware. And of course the potential of sketchy characters, deadbeats, etc.

1. If you have no feedback on eBay, I'd personally be leery of buying a $2k+ laptop from you. Especially if I was able to find another from someone with better feedback rating. But, everyone has to start somewhere, just create a good ad with lots of pics and hope for the best.

2. Use Paypal and you'll see the money first. I guess people still do the money order thing, which you will receive prior to shipping. And you really should go above and beyond when shipping a $2k laptop. Heavy on the insurance, and if this means letting the shipper pack it so be it. Definitely dont want it to get damaged during shipping, and if it does you'll want to be able to get the shipper to pay for the value of the machine.

3. Going to have to really be realistic as to what price you can ask (regardless of what you paid). Maybe check out previously ended auctions for similar machines, or check out Apple's refurb site for ideas. I have the same exact machine (except with 8gb and SSD), and am myself debating the upgrade, but cringe to think about what I could actually get for it vs. the benefits of the new machine.

6. snouter macrumors 6502a

I think you are going to take more of a hit on your laptop.

The new models have quads for $2500.

To some degree. I feel your pain. I may try to sell my 2010 i5 2.53 17" and even though I have upgraded the hd to an SSD and the ram to 8GB, I'd be surprised to get more than $1800-$2000 for it...

7. jenlevin macrumors regular

i have a top-rated/power-seller ebay account. my advise-

post a decent, easy to read description. and have at least 3-4 pictures.

when you make your listing, there will be a section for 'buyer requirements'. i have these selected:
    Don't have a PayPal account
    Have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 12 month(s)
    Have a primary shipping address in countries that I don't ship to
    Have 4 Policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)
    Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1

for something like a laptop i would not allow international bidding.

for shipping terms, i always include shipping (and insurance) in the cost of the item. there is a filter in search to only search free shipping items, so this keeps you from being cut out of some searches. also if you specifically choose what type of shipping you will use (i.e. 2-3 day usps priority) this will give the buyer an estimate of how quickly they can get it from you. priority is considered an expedited service.

i only use buy it now listings. ebay has certain restrictions in place that prevent new users from using but it now, but if you verify your account (i think there may be a $5 charge..) you can list. being verified will also give you some credibility despite being new to ebay or a lack of feedback.

with buy it now listings you can require buyers to pay instantly. this eliminated dead-beat bidders. to set my price, i search current and completed buy-it-now listings for the same model.. and usually price it on the low end.

*the most important things: paypal will hold the payment for 'high risk' categories such as electronics if you are not an established seller. PAY FOR TRACKING/DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. if paypal has proof of delivery, they clear the payment three days after the item is delivered (otherwise they hold it for, i believe, 21). also pay for signature confirmation - paypal requires this for items over $250, otherwise you have NO seller protection. pay for insurance when you ship it - things almost never get lost, but it happens. also, wait at least 12 hours to ship it. this will allow paypal time to screen the payment, they are very quick to put a hold on a transaction if it looks suspicious on their end. occasionally it takes them longer to catch it and you will have already shipped, but paypal has excellent seller protection (you will still get the money, although it could potentially be on hold awhile if they have to dispute a credit card company).