Ebay "For Parts or Not Working"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by matty1551, May 9, 2014.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I've been considering buying a broken Macbook Pro on ebay.

My question is, do I have any expectation of parts functionality when buying something like this?

For Instance, lets say I buy a "broken MBP" that "wont turn on" and it turns out it has water damage but the seller did not list water damage in his/her listing.

Is the seller obligated to accurately list the damage the computer has or would I be SOL?

Water damage is my biggest concern if you couldn't already tell.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Consider that you are buying it for parts. I wouldn't expect work.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That's not what the OP is asking. The question was whether or not the seller is obligated to list specific damages.

4. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

You can always send the seller a question about the item and ask if there was water damage to the unit. They can either say yes, no, or I don't know but at least you have an idea and there is documentation you asked about that specific problem.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yeah..........."broken MBP" that "won't turn on" pretty much tells you to expect that anything could be wrong with it

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Sometimes you can score big with those auctions, if you know the ins and outs of certain models. It also helps when they list exactly what is wrong with the unit, or at least what they think might be wrong.

It's always a gamble nonetheless; but if you know what to look for, and with a bit of luck, you can get a machine for pennies that just needs a $20 part to work perfectly again. :)

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Very true (done this once or twice). Usually ends up being $200 though, but better than buying used.

As for the OP, I would not put money on it at all. If it says parts/not working and has water damage, etc it is still as described. Only if the seller explicitly posted that it did NOT have water damage that it would possibly be an issue. What are you trying to fix? I would try to stay away from water damaged ones unless you are experienced in repair (soldering and a hot air rework station will likely be inevitable. Of course if you are experienced then you know all this). If you are a total newbie I'd stay to broken screens, easily repairable parts, and avoid anything with a bad graphics card or the 8400 GT.

If sellers had to explicitly state damage then 90% of sellers are breaking the rules. I've seen more "does not power up, don't know why" listings to count. And most of the time it's water damaged or a seller that doesn't know anything about the unit.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

No, it is already listed in Non working condition and just for parts. The seller is not obligated to list all the problems.

9. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Beware of "Needs a fuse" "Needs minor repair"

11. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

12. matty1551, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

To Update:

Bought one. Picked it up today. I specifically chose this one because it listed no water damage.

Unfortunately it came with a handful of other issues. It's missing 20+ screws from various components, missing a few brackets, the battery indicator cable and light is missing, and the keyboard port on the logic board is torn off which explains his "keyboard not working" comment.

Considering opening a case because he didn't mention all the little things that are missing in the listing. Had I known that I would have suspected someone had already played around below the hood and didn't know what they were doing and wouldn't have bid.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hopefully, you got it at an incredible price and can use some of the parts in another machine.

14. Svend macrumors member

Opening a case to complain that the non-working item you bought is in fact, non-working?

15. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

I could care less that it is not working. There are tons (30+) of small components and screws that are missing that were not listed.

16. Astroboy907, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

No.

Just no.

I've bought my fair share of broken equipment on eBay, and yes, I've had this happen to me as well.
    One member here that is in computer repair put it very succinctly. I am paraphrasing, but what he said is that most, if not all of the time eBay is not the first place people go when their computer dies. Which means eBay listings are generally after the repairman has deemed it not worth it to fix (or screwed it up).

Which means, that if something is listed as "for parts or not working", be prepared for anything. Some of his stories are like yours (and mine). Some idiot with a screwdriver decided to go all gung-ho and rip connections out and go crazy with soldering. Also paraphrasing, but eBay is probably the most crap-tastic place to buy broken computers ever. Don't do it unless you have to.

I'm fairly certain that people are not obliged to include any information about an item listed as "for parts or not working" other than it does not work. Remember, anything goes.

So if I listed my computer, which has had more than it's fair share of rebuilds (literally the only things that have not been replaced are the battery cable and motherboard), would I have to list that I think a component is missing on the bottom left side of the motherboard? Or that 5 internal screws are missing? Or that the screen has a slight dark ring in the center? Or that the backlight fuse has been replaced?

If I listed it for parts or not working, no. 99% of people on eBay have neither the experience, nor the time to list (or even know about) every single thing wrong with a computer. Sure, it would be great if they did, but really? For all you know they took their computer to their "genius" geek nephew who proceeded to ruin it and lose a bunch of screws and call it toast.

Unethical? Maybe. A problem warranting an eBay case? Hardly so.

Edit: perhaps including the listing here might gain you some support.