eBay: Fraud/Scam? Sold iPhone 4S, Would you ship?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PsstGreek, Oct 9, 2012.

1. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

My 4S sold on eBay in the early hours of the morning. Saw the email on my iPhone, and though great. But what's kind of geting to me and a little sketchy is that the eBay/PayPal accounts have two names attached to them.

The shipping address is the same for eBay and PayPal but the money I received was from another name. Of course PayPal is saying on their site, that it's ok to ship and I'll be covered under their seller protection. The payment came through instantly with no need to wait for it for a few weeks under PayPal's new policy.

I sent the buyer a message asking why the two names were associated with the account. I haven't received a response yet. If I don't I'll be refunding the money.

My gut feeling is telling me not to ship my iPhone, do the right thing and refund the money, and ask eBay for a FFV credit. Even if wasn't a fraud/scam would you guys still ship your iPhone out? Keep in mind this buyer's account is two years old and only has two feedbacks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If PayPal is claiming you're protected then why not? If the buyer's address matches the address on PayPal, can you really refuse? You're right to question but I am not sure it is a total scam. I've paid for something won on eBay from my PayPal shipped to my address using my Nephew's card because he wanted the item and didn't have a PayPal account.

3. swazi85 macrumors newbie

Don't do it, of it's a scam you will sen your phone, card is reported stolen and money is taken bak from you and your phone is long gone.

4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

If it's a paypal verified address you are safe. Just ship with a tracking method

5. TedM macrumors 6502

if there is protection maybe. I mean you already have the money. You are just hoping that its not stolen or something right?

6. PsstGreek thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

In the end and by my gut feeling, I refunded the money and opened a dispute with eBay. After hearing some eBay horror stories from some friends I decided not to ship it out.

If I sold something smaller in value, sure maybe I'd take the risk. I don't want to be out money and a phone as well.

7. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

You can never go wrong with your gut feeling.

I recommend that if you never end up shipping your phone, go with Craigslist. More peace of mind actually meeting the person beforehand.

8. PsstGreek thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Well, I ended up shipping my iPhone out today after some communication with the buyer. Everything was sorted out and he resent the payment.

Can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone5 after this money shows up in my bank.