eBay Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by war eagle, Jan 15, 2009.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

So I sold my BlackBook on ebay or what not and Paypal threw a hold on the funds. So I shipped it and the guy receives it today and tells me he doesnt want it because the battery is bad. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the battery and I think that he might be trying to swap out something with the computers. He says he has the battery plugged in and it's saying battery is not charging.

I've never had that problem before and that's why I think there is nothing wrong with it. I just got the computer in August of 2008.

Anyway, as far as eBay goes, what kind of protection do I have if he sends me another computer other than my own? I have the serial number for my computer and everything.

And Paypal has a hold on the funds so if he disputes it they will go back to him and he has my computer so i'd lose completely what can I do about that?

2. Avaj macrumors member

Why did you ship when there was a hold on the funds :confused:

3. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because Paypal isn't going to release the funds until the item has been shipped. It's not a hold because of suspicious account activity.

4. Avaj macrumors member

I have never heard of that

I have a rating of 100% and bought and sold 177 since 05

Call Paypal and see what your option are

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I've sold a lot of stuff, up to about $1,000.00 for a few items, and there has never been a hold on funds, ever. I don't understand the hold at all. I never would've shipped without the funds clearing. What feedback rating did this buyer have?

Regardless, you need to check up on eBay's and PayPal's policies. Find out why there was a hold on the funds, and what type of recourse you have. Have you contacted them yet?

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This is something new eBay does for specific categories, computers being one of them.

Unless you're a Power Seller (or pretty close to that level) they will put the funds in something similar to escrow and not release them until the party you're shipping to has notified them the item arrived (by leaving feedback, I think).

I haven't read too much about it, but I remember seeing something on the change a couple of months ago.

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Ah, yeah, you are right. I remember reading about it here actually. I don't know about all of that.

Wow, that sucks. OP, be sure to let us know how things turn out.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i sold over $10,000 of stuff in one year, and they never held my funds. they just decided to limit my account for 180 days.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This is a very recent change, and the more your sales are the less likely you are to get funds held, since you've established yourself as a reliable seller.

I think it's to thwart someone signing up for an eBay account and selling a couple of $1,000 laptops only to disappear from sight and leave both eBay and the buyer unhappy.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last summer I sold a MBP and a MB, both had the funds held till the buyers receipt was confirmed. I then sold two iPhones and the funds were held as well. It appears that eBay and PayPal are doing this more so then ever.

AS for the battery, the MBP I sold also had a bad battery. The battery had 15 cycles on it and because I rarely used it in the year+ I had it, the battery needed to be replaced. The new owner took it to the Apple store and they replaced it due to the low cycle count even thouh it was over a year old. You may suggest the buyer do the same.

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

As far was what the OP is asking, as long as you have an actual record of the serial number (an apple receipt or invoice somewhere), then you could most likely get this guy done for stealing property.

It may just be that the guy is retarded and is freaking out that he spent a lot of money on a computer. What was his feedback like?

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

The fund holding thing is some new ebay bulls*it. It doens't apply to me because I've got over 100 feedback but it does apply to some.

Anyways, tell him that its covered under the Applecare warranty (it sounds like its less than a year old from your post) and to swap out the battery if it is genuinely bad. I'm guessing he's trying to cheat you too, but you can't assume that.