eBay: I shipped a Powerbook to the wrong address! Please help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macaddict23, Oct 6, 2009.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I accidentally shipped a $790 Powerbook to a person's old address. This old address was not the one specified on his Paypal payment.

I shipped it via USPS Priority with Signature Confirmation and Insurance.*

What do I do next? Can I somehow get this back? *

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Step 1) Call USPS.

I am serious. No one is going to be able to help except for them. Id suggest sooner rather than later because as soon as someone signs for that package you can pretty much kiss it goodbye.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Depends... if the person had moved within the past 6 months and filed a change of address form with forwarding with the USPS, the USPS should automatically redirect it to the new address without attempting delivery to the old address.

If not, hmm, things could get interesting. You would have several options (there may be more), including finding out name and phone number of the person currently residing at the address (via an online commercial people info search), calling the unintended recipient and explaining the goof and requesting it be sent back at your expense. Or the unintended receiver may figure out something is amiss and either return it or call you to let you know then return it.

4. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

It was shipped priority on October 3rd from California to Washington. USPS is close now, so I'll have to call in the morning. I guess can login to USPS.com and enter the Signsture Confirmation number to see if someone has already signed for it.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Who in their right mind pays $790 for a PowerBook? And why in the world did you ship it via USPS?

If you would have shipped it FedEx or UPS, you could have called either and had the package returned. It’s almost impossible to do that with USPS since they have no tracking capabilities.

Good luck though! If it’s already delivered, the current residents may actually be kind enough to ship it back to you. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually they do have a quasi tracking system (nothing like UPS/fedex), if you contact them before the local route is ran they can stop the package from being delivered (I substituted on a mail route once for a couple weeks, most boring job ever).

7. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I just visited USPS.com and entered the Signature Confirmation Number, and here's what it gave me:

"Status: Undeliverable as Addressed

Your item was undeliverable as addressed at 9:51 am on October 5, 2009 in Seattle, WA 98103. It is being returned if appropriate information is available.

Sounds like it's coming back to me. Yes?

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You lucked out! I hope you put your return address on the box. :D

9. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Call USPS and find out the phone # for the post office in that area. Call the PO and tell them about your situation. What happens in an undeliverable case (most of the time) is that the package will sit at the post office for a few weeks before it makes it back to you.

Your buyer will probably be pissed and will ask for a refund if you don't ship out the package soon - I have had undeliverable packages - and they got returned to me in 4-5 weeks (not important packages of any value, so I never called to expedite this process)

10. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Yo, I'll go get the mafia and we can get the bast*rd that has it. :D