Ebay iMacs - what's the deal

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gianpan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. gianpan macrumors member

Hey all,
    I've been seeing some iMacs at ebay.co.uk and I see the prices are very low in comparison to the prices in Greece.
    For example there is a 3.06GHz iMac for as low as 1500€ (including shipping to Greece which is 100€) while in Greece the 2.8GHz (so no 8800 just the crappy ATI 2600:p) costs 1682€!
    It's not just the iMac, I've seen MBP even 800€ less than here.

Now I know everything is expensive here but I am just trying to figure out if everything is so damn expensive or ebay products suck.

The seller is a power-seller and claims that products are not refurbished/faulty etc.

So is it safe to buy one from ebay with paypal?

2. JMac13 macrumors newbie

I've seen the same things here on ebay. One guy who is a power seller had a 24" iMac 2.8 with 4 gb Ram and 1 TB HD for $800. I emailed him about it and turned out to be a scam. He wanted me to send a money order to Europe and then they would ship it. I told him no thanks and to have a great day.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only pay with PayPal, do not bid higher than your PayPal protection.

Do that and it won't matter what the outcome is; you're safe.

4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

There is a reason that the scammers never use PayPal. I only buy and sell with PayPal anymore. If the deal is too good to be true it probably is. That is the rule of thumb with eBay. You might save a few dollars on eBay, but believe me if it sounds too good, it probably is.

5. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

THAT IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE.

You have to watch out for paypal on ebay.

I got scammed out of over $800.00 of a hijacked paypal and ebay account. I was the seller, they buyer had the hijacked account. I don't use it anymore.

Better safe then sorry.

6. gianpan thread starter macrumors member

What about warranty the seller claims 1 year, assuming that it's Apple's warranty can I use it with an authorized reseller (whatever they are called) here?

7. vkstudios macrumors newbie

Prices too good to be true..

As the old saying goes... If it sounds too good to be true then it most likely is. It really sounds like a scam. There is just so much of that on the internet these days.