Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I just purchased an iPad 2 from Apple's web site, so I'll be listing my 1st gen. iPad on eBay soon. I may actually consider the instant sale as an option just to try it out.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I've been to eBay hdqtrs and nobody will come out to talk to me, they just hide behind their voicemail. I showed the phone to the eBay security guards and they even used the word SCAM when they saw the condition.

I guess if it looks like a scam, walks like a scam, talks like a scam and smells like a scam....

Tad bit crazy, no? You went to headquarters to argue a price you dont have to take??? And really, a security guard said scam? he holds tons of cred...

Also, nothing USED is pristine. You're like the people who sell used cars saying it's prisitine, yet driven on the road for 10 years....USED is USED, can't be pristine and used...

All this fuss you made when they could just send it back to you, and you can take the effort and sell it yourself!:rolleyes:

tonydi

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Tad bit crazy, no? You went to headquarters to argue a price you dont have to take??? And really, a security guard said scam? he holds tons of cred...

Also, nothing USED is pristine. You're like the people who sell used cars saying it's prisitine, yet driven on the road for 10 years....USED is USED, can't be pristine and used...

All this fuss you made when they could just send it back to you, and you can take the effort and sell it yourself!:rolleyes:
I went to argue that they didn't uphold their end of the contract. I held up my end by sending in a phone that met or even exceeded the highest criteria they had and they lied and said it didn't.

I quoted what the security guard said because he was someone at eBay who had actually seen the phone in person and could vouch for my story.

You need to look up the definition of pristine. There's not a mark on this phone, it looks exactly as it did when it first came out of the box on day 1. It was always covered by a case and a screen protector. I never dropped it or made even the lightest mark on it. Maybe it would surprise you that some people take very good care of expensive equipment.

If I had wanted to sell it myself, I wouldn't have used Instant Sale. I was willing to take less than what I MIGHT get from an eBay or Craigslist sale for the convenience offered by Instant Sale.

sloppygator2013

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I went to argue that they didn't uphold their end of the contract. I held up my end by sending in a phone that met or even exceeded the highest criteria they had and they lied and said it didn't.

I quoted what the security guard said because he was someone at eBay who had actually seen the phone in person and could vouch for my story.

You need to look up the definition of pristine. There's not a mark on this phone, it looks exactly as it did when it first came out of the box on day 1. It was always covered by a case and a screen protector. I never dropped it or made even the lightest mark on it. Maybe it would surprise you that some people take very good care of expensive equipment.

If I had wanted to sell it myself, I wouldn't have used Instant Sale. I was willing to take less than what I MIGHT get from an eBay or Craigslist sale for the convenience offered by Instant Sale.

I can back him up. I go to the security guard at Goldman Sachs for all of my financial planning...

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
i can back him up. I go to the security guard at goldman sachs for all of my financial planning...

funny!:d

----------

Theres is no contract for them to uphold, you dont have to accept their price, and they'll return it to you.

Also, Pristine condition to YOU, must not be that way to THEM. Also, just because YOU say it's PRISTINE, doesn't mean so. But yeah, nothing used is PRISTINE, it's been used. Your sweaty gross hands and face have been all over that phone, IT'S USED. Lots of people take great care of their stuff, as do I, but i'd never say anything i have ever USED is pristine, it's just not that way bro.

Also, really, you're going to stand by the security guards word? and base it off of what some guy, who has a job as a security guard, to judge the condition of your tech?? ha, so laughable....the poster above me said it best, in regards to how truly silly that is...

Peace

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
the guard's opinion doesn't mean squat. since you and the buyer disagree, you don't have much choice but ask them to send the phone back and give them their money back.

incessant b1tching isn't going to remedy the situation. you're bonkers if you actually went down to ebay headquarters.

seattlemac12

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Bad Experience - Price Switch

I was debating between Amazon and some of the other iPhone trade-in sites and decided to try eBay Instal Sale, since they had the best offer. Big mistake, my iPhone received a revised offer of $13 - down from the $110 advertised price My iPhone was in pretty good shape, good screen, and little wear on the back but otherwise good condition. Bait and switch! :mad:

lonrun

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
It's Fraud & A Scam

I wish I had looked into this further before I used them. I trusted the Ebay brand and that a big company like that wouldn't rip me off. Wow, was I wrong.

The ask only a super general condition assessment before making their offer. Concerned about this I called and asked what the inspection criteria are and was pretty specific. They assured my if the phone was cosmetically in descent shape and worked my offer would be honored. Once they got the phone my offer dropped from $235, to $100 because of "dead pixels". What a scam. The phone was like new.

Here is the email I wrote eBay Instant Sale in rejecting their offer:

"I went out of my way to call your company in advance to understand what the valuation criteria is. Based on my trust in Ebay as a company and the specifics offered in that call I chose eBay for the transaction. There were a number of options I was considering.

The final valuation is less than half the original offer and does not reflect the criteria described to me in advance. To lower a valuation over half is a steep adjustment. That type of adjustment means these criteria are considered "huge" and they could easily have been outlined in advance (strict review policies based on... etc). They could have been outlined online or in my very specific call to you before I accepted the offer. I was assured as long as the item was not dramatically physically damaged and worked, that my offer would be honored. No mention of other criteria or inspection types. I was specific in my call.

You misled me, wasted my time, and now upon sending the phone back I have lost the opportunity to sell the item at the price I would have received when I selected eBay.

This is basically fraud – making a misrepresentation – agreeing to a finical transaction under specific terms and then not honoring it.

Though I didn't look into it before I selected eBay I have since searched online and found a shocking number or reviews and comments reflecting the same experience I've had."

It's sad to me that eBay has allowed themselves to sink to a level where they are involved in something like this to make money. This has changed my opinion of eBay and I will be sure to warn anyone I know that this is how eBay operates.

Don't trust these guys. And shame on eBay. For real.

badbare

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Ebay rip off!

Ebay rip-off instant sale is just a bait and switch operation.
Got an offer, sent phone, got new offer =half of original offer.
Said 'hell' no, send back the phone, one month, no phone, no money.
Call Ebay, sorry wrong dept can't help you. Over and over and over.
No phone. No money.
Sorry can't help you.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I sold my iPad 3 Wi-Fi 64 GB for $500 on eBay two weeks ago, and this site offers me $320.75 today. Not a good deal.

sschmelcke

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
They offered me 400 for my iPhone 4S 64 gig. Sent it to them and got the same dead pixel story. Offered me 115 bucks. Got it back and sold it on eBay for 460. Took it to work to look at it under our microscope. No dead pixels. Scam!!!

Highmoon911

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Don't sell your iPad instantly to ebay ever!

I just wanted to let you know that a couple of month ago I sold my first ever I pad the traditional route on ebay , it was 2 years old, it was always kept in an in case folio, I had the box, the bag it came in, all the little booklets and even the stickers, I sold it with the case and it had 0 scratches and was never tempered with, it was a 32 gig wifi and AT&T one. I took tons of pictures and sold it for $510 .where as ebay would have maybe given me $300 if that much.
So do your work and do it yourself ..... You don't have to be a genius to sell on ebay, obviously .Always ship with tracking, and delivery confirmation on items over $500. It only costs pennies more and will protect you. Take tons of pictures from all angles and write an awesome description . With the money I got from selling IPad 1
I bought a brand new iPad 3 and all the accessories and than had money left to burn for a new I phone 4s ( 5 wasnt out than)How can you go wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.