Ebay Instant Sale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CBeckstrand, Mar 5, 2011.

1. CBeckstrand, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

CBeckstrand macrumors member

I have a 2009 13" MBP that I would like to sell to upgrade (not sure to what yet). I got a quote from the Ebay Instant Sale site for $944 but want to know if anyone has used them before. I have upgraded to 4GB and a 500GB drive but the price still seams too high. I am wondering if it thinks it is a newer model even though I did select the 2.26 CPU. I don't want to send it off and then have them quote me something way lower once they get it. I also just purchased Applecare on it but I should be able to get some of that refunded, right? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

2. jenlevin macrumors regular

that does seem high. but if you read all the terms you'll see that if they want to adjust the price on you, they will ship it back for free if you don't agree. it's a pretty safe bet. just make sure you have every option marked correctly, and you should be set. i sold them an iphone (4 32gb) and they gave me the amount they said they would (which was for excellent condition, and the highest offered). i was skeptical that something like that would always end up giving a lower offer, but they were good. didn't take long to have the money deposited to paypal either.

3. CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

I did see that they will ship it back if I don't agree to the new quoted price so all I am really out is shipping time. I marked it as like new but I have had a Zagg cover on it since purchased and it has been rarely used. The best price I expected to get selling locally is $1000 with the Applecare so if can get anywhere close to what they quoted as well as a Applecare refund I will be doing good. I will probably give it a shot but wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.

4. jenlevin macrumors regular

yeah i say go for it. i dont see how you could get close to that on ebay or cl.

5. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

That's actually a really good price i see those going for around 800 on craigslist

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Go for it. That's a very good price. I just randomly put up a 2010 15" MBP and they only offered $760 for it.

7. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

You can get more than that. I just sold my 2008 aluminum unibody macbook for $800. Had to relist it a second time though. Sometimes you have to wait out the lowball offers and not just jump on an offer because it's the best at that moment.

8. CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

I will send it to them but I have a feeling it a glitch in the bid and I will get a low ball offer. I put in a 17" with the same specs and was only quoted $750. I checked Gazelle and they quoted me $450 for my 13" :)

800 for a 13" UB Macbook is really high. All I could get for mine was $750 over a year ago. We have 2010 MBPs going for $800 here.

9. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

eBay Instant Bid quoted me $129 for my iPhone 3G 8GB... Gazelle quoted me $75. Unfortunately I sent it off to Gazelle before I even knew that eBay Instant Sale existed. eBay also quotes me around $960 for my 15" MacBook Pro (2009).

Honestly, I would send it to eBay. I don't think it's a glitch. For whatever reason, they are willing to pay more.

10. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Yeah, I plugged in an early 2008 macbook (white). $650. :D

I'm guessing ebay's calculation algorithm is based on past sales of the item you list. It doesn't take into account the new releases (like the 2011 MBP refresh) as there is no history of those items.

I'd like to here if anyone is having any success with this. Sounds like a bunch of crap will get shipped back and forth for nothing. UPS wins again.

11. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Beware of those instant sales. They'll quote you a high price to bait you, but when you send it in they will find something wrong with it and offer you a low ball price.

12. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Makes sense. Since the item has already been shipped a lot of people will probably accept the offer so they won't be bothered with the hassles of shipping it again.

The buyer is probably relying on this fact.

13. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

It is a really good price but it was actually on par with the 2010 models as it was a 2.4 ghz model with 4th ram. Craigslist really is the best place to sell as some people really are unaware of the value of things.

14. CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

That is not a terrible price then. Mine was only the base model with stock memory and hard drive. Just about every UB macbook I have seen in the classifieds is listed as a pro anyway.

Ya, I figure as much but it's worth a shot. They are paying for shipping both ways so worst case I am out shipping time. If it is anything less than $750-800 I will just have them send it back. I will post what they quote me.

15. noripwr macrumors member

did you have to also send in the original discs, iLife, and box as well?

16. CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

I have not sent it yet but was planing to include all this since I have it. The only option I had to check for the quote was to include the power adapter. I imagine the more you include the better quote you will get.

17. Bandit390 macrumors newbie

I sold my MBP 13" 2009 with 4GB of ram, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD and extended applecare for $840. Then sold the original 160GB HDD for $30. Still trying to sell the original ram.

I did this on craigslist.

18. jenlevin macrumors regular

just include the charger, they wont give you any extra for the rest.

19. CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

If that is all I can get then I will keep it. There is now way I am taking a $500 hit to upgrade to the new model. I just posted it on the local classifieds. If no one bits I will send it to ebay and see what they offer.

20. CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

The box and manuals don't do me much good without the system so I figure why not send them too.

21. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

has to be a mistake what they offered you, i just plugged in my system and was offered a few 100s less than you and your system is older and slower than mine.

I have seen your same system go for 650-800 tops

22. CBeckstrand, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

CBeckstrand thread starter macrumors member

I agree. I just sold it locally for $800 without Applecare. It was not worth the chance that they give me a $600 quote once they got it. Once I get a refund on Applecare (purchased less then 30 days ago) I will only be $200 more for a 2011 13". I will though a SSD in that and be set for a while.

Thanks for all your help.

23. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

24. Aj2488 macrumors regular

iPhone 4 instant sale

I was quoted $335 for my black 16 GB iPhone 4... I printed out the label and thinking of sending it in tomorrow, only I'm worried about sending it and not getting any funds in my paypal. How legit is this instant sale?

25. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Holy smokes! Take that offer. I checked what they would give me for a perfect condition 2008 aluminum Macbook (which I own) and the offer was $278! Take the money!

I plugged in your specs just to see what they'd offer, and their offer to me on a machine with your specs was $451...