Ebay & Iphone 3G: Share your knowledge and some questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jul 11, 2008.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

----
    Based on your knowledge and past experience with the first iphone please contribute with me on figuring out the following questions i have:
    ----
    Pricing

-Currently bids are going up to 800-1200+, from today, in how long the prices will be stable?

-After the price is stabilized what you think it will be the pricing for the 16 gb and 8 gb model?

Box and current activation method

-Due to the current activation method, what are the chances to be able to buy a sealed iphone (in box with plastic wrap in other words without opening)?

-If there will be able to get it sealed what are the probabilities to be found or it will be few each time to time? and if this will affect pricing?

Thanks in advance, all knowledge dont matter for how little will be appreciated!

Note: Stick to the topic is obvious where i live is not available and avoid talking about unlocking it problems etc, this is not an unlocking topic and dont even matter if it can be unlocked.

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i would say if u buy one there is no way it will be unopened and if u walk into an AT&T or who ever you carrier is in your area and say activate this they will

3. island macrumors 6502

island

I actually have an unopened one, going right up on eBay in the next hour. The price I will get for 1 - 16GB 3G iPhone there will basically pay for all 3.
    :D

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i walked out with an unopened phone as did my friends. we were told to activate at home since the system was so slow. my friend bought two phones and is going to list one on ebay today.

5. showtime macrumors 6502

what happens to your contract when you sell your 3G iphone? Can you walk in and purchase another for $399?

6. showtime macrumors 6502

So did you guys have to sign your contract when you purchased it?

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't know that any of them are shrink-wrapped.

Also be aware that it is possible there is a non-activation penalty. AT&T mentioned this pre-launch, so it is possible in the contract people agreed to pay a stiff fine for not activating their phone within 30 days.

So you are looking at potentially a cancellation penalty AFTER 30 days and this non activation penalty as a cost.

8. macman4291 macrumors regular

yea i walked out with it unopened too, They didnt have to open it , and I was shocked, SHOCKED...I thought for sure they would have to fondle it, but they said since the activation is so slow and not working to just do it from your home.

9. jackjason macrumors regular

do you mind to share a little bit how you can do this?
    2 phone per customer. and you need to pay ECT for both phones ,right?

10. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Lets see if you buy a 3G 16 GB Iphone for $299...and it is sealed and not activated...and you sell it on Ebay for $1500

$1500-$299=$1201

$200 ATT contract breaking fee

$1201-$200=$1001

$1001 profit minus the Ebay selling fees..

Dang....

Why can not people just be patient to get their Iphones? I guess there is high demand in Europe and the rest of the world...so there really is some money to be made on Ebay...

Dang...

11. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

So, is there any possibility after a while (while i wait the ebay prices to calm down) that there will be unopened ones or the one who replied got lucky by the mass people buying them?

wow and thanks for all these replies lets keep this post active until there many different answers.

12. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

Really depends on availability of phones without a contract and effective ways to distribute it. I'd give it at least a month.

Really depends on your location. This list gives you an overview of the price for an iPhone without a contract. For example the price in Europe will be between 400 and 480 Euro (the cheapest source for an iPhone 16 Gb is Switzerland and there it costs 385). I'm sure many people will buy phones there and sell them in their home markets at a premium which can reach up to €100.

If you are in the US you might consider getting one from Mexico. However, they are not exactly cheap there and I assume that prices will stay rather high on ebay. I'm too lazy to calculate between Pesos, Euros and USD right now...

edit: Forgot about the ATT cancelation option. Makes Mexico less interesting...

13. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to read more about the pricing questions i asked.

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

ok well the prices are ridiculous considering i talked to people at AT&T(usa) and apple stores(usa) and unofficially they said that they will get more by 12:00 tomorrow

15. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

So what's the deal? If I were to open a second line tomorrow and purchase a second iPhone, could I just sell it on ebay and pay the cancellation fee? Or better yet, if I were able to leave with an "unopened" iPhone would there be NO record of it on my account, allowing me to just keep my current iPhone and just sell it on ebay?