eBay MBP Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taylorwilsdon, Sep 20, 2008.

1. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I just had a quick glance at the bottom of the description underneath the specs and found this:

So don't beat yourself up about missing out on the BIN, it's most definitely not legit. I know it's a cliché but if it looks too good to be true then it probably is ;)

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

3. oacory macrumors regular

Luckily u didn't bid

Read the fine print dude. AT the bottom of the page it said this:
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT INTEENDED TO BE AN AUCTION...I HAVE USED THIS LAPTOP TO GET YOUR ATTENTION.IAM SEEKING FUNDS TO START MY BUSINESS.I NEED A MINIMUM OF £700 TO START OFF MY BUSINESS.COULD YOU PLEASE HELP.PLEASE GET IN TOUCH BY SENDING ME MESSAGES ON MY EBAY ACCOUNT.I DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP.THANK YOU.

Luckily you didn't bid so you are not out anything. If you did you would really be kicking yourself right now.

4. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Haha, I'm so dumb. I read that as - I need this money to start my business, not "I used this to get your attention to get money to start my business"

Carry on, then. Removed the offending link so that nobody accidentally bids.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Two fairly obvious thoughts occur; the first the is cliche, tired but true, posted by a number of others: if it is too good to be true, it usually is. The second is why eBay? Buy from an Apple outlet, that way you have warranty, legal guarantees and peace of mind; if funds are an issue, buy refurb from Apple which carries all of the warranty of a new model, has been rigorously tested and usually comes with a generous discount.
    Cheers

6. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Well, I'm not really in the market. I just sold my Macbook Pro :D I was just saying that it would be a good pickup at that price, if only to resell.

The only reason its not the cliche is because he had feedback for selling high dollar items recently, so I am not sure why he decided to try this now. The other auction was formatted the same way.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough. However, I am wary of sites such as eBay. While I fully appreciate that some members of this community have bought and sold - and done well out of - eBay, I personally would never buy anything that really mattered on such a marketplace. For my part, I prefer spending a bit extra to have guarantees, legal rights and peace of mind should anything go pear-shaped. Thus, for computers, that means buying from a licensed outlet. It is, I suppose, a matter of choice and preference.
    Cheers