eBay Open Box USB-C Cable. Safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MidnightSVT, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MidnightSVT macrumors member

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with buying an OEM Apple USB-C cable (for charging) off eBay? I able to find them on eBay at a cheaper price that at an Apple Store or on Amazon, the only caveat is that they are "open box" (there are listed as Apple OEM cables though). Most describe the cable itself as not being used, but the packaging may be worn or completely missing. I have linked one example below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-USB-C...795981?hash=item1ea37b750d:g:3DQAAOSwDNdV4xkK

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a cable like this? Is it safe or could they be altered to damage my computer?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The risk is it's counterfeit. I bought an "Apple" charger block for iPhone. It was questionable when it arrived, and turned out had the same serial number as thousands of other counterfeits . . . I reported it, but I'm sure eBay did nothing about it.

3. MidnightSVT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. Probably not worth the few dollars of savings compared to the risk.

4. werpu macrumors member

werpu

At the this time if you buy from shady sources you might even risk to damage your computer if you plug it in.