Ebay or Apple refurb?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macsarethebest, Sep 22, 2009.

?

Should I buy from eBay or Apple?

1. Buy from Apple

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Buy from eBay

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. macsarethebest macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Seeing as the iPod touch didn't get updated, I am thinking of buying a second gen. 16gb.
    My question is, should I buy on ebay, or refurbished from Apple?
    pros from Apple:
    1 year warranty
    brand new condition
    new accessories
    pros from eBay
    cheaper
    really nothing else

so, please post or vote! Thanx:D

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would go with the Apple refurb. You don't have to worry about getting scammed and you get a warranty.

3. tenand2indy macrumors member

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I'm in the same boat as you, sort of. I've seen (just searching around) that craigslist has the cheapest prices. Obviously Apple is the safest vendor. I guess it just depends on how much you'll pay for a warranty and the safety.

5. azure247 macrumors 6502

ebay would be the most cost-efficient way of getting an ipod. Also, refurb is usually worse than "used" because refurbs originally had issues and it was fixed. I never buy refurbs so apple refurbs is a no for me. Also, paypal keeps u safe so if sellers lie and try to scam u, it wont work.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Haha! My experience is actually the exact opposite. Refurbished Apple products are usually better than brand new.

When you buy something brand new, it was built on an assembly line in China… when you get it refurbished, an Apple employee fixes the broken part, replaces the case and puts it together with more care and careful inspection.

Refurb is the way to go. My Mac Pro is refurbished and I have no issues with it. My iPhone 3G is refurbished too and it's perfect.

I trust refurbs way more.

7. pavenger macrumors regular

I agree, refurbs at where it's at. I beleive they also replace the battery when they refurbish them as well.

Also if you want to get a little deeper, one could argue that buying from apple helps feed the many thousands od employees around the world that make design and develope apple products by pumping more income to apple. Not just some eBay power seller stationed in his mother's basement. I don't know just some food for thought...

8. ramases macrumors member

Apple refurb is safest in the longer term. Whatever kit you buy will inevitably develop a fault. You will get a warranty with refurb. I've bought refurb'd MacMini and iMac from Apple store. The MacMini developed a HDD issue after 10 months, took it to the Apple Store and they swapped out the HDD in 24 hours, then bought applecare. Happy Bunny.

9. tenand2indy macrumors member

Paypal is terrible. I never rely on their buyer protection. The number of horror stories out there from people who got screwed on ebay and paypal left them in the cold is a much larger number than those who have bought apple refurbs and had any issues.

10. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Would the few dollars you would be saving be worth the possible aggravation when something goes wrong and your seller is off to the Bahamas? Go with Apple.

11. azure247 macrumors 6502

Well, I dont know what to argue other than saying warranty eventually expires and then what. Warranties are worthless majority of the time, it is a HUGE profit business for companies since our society is so fearful of everything going wrong when it most likely doesnt. Hearing a few "horror" stories is exaggerated because "good" stories are never told. Only bad stories are mentioned making it seem bigger than it really is.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha