Ebay/Paypal payment hold questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2056, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 2056 macrumors 6502

I'm not much of a seller on ebay, but I'll do it every once in a while.
    Everytime I've sold something the payment is usually processed right away in paypal and I'm able to directly transfer to my bank.

So..with the most recent item i've sold.. the buyer tranferred the funds but they're on "hold" for 21 days or until the person leaves me feedback ( which I've yet to receive).

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? Is this a new policy? Does it only happen randomly or when you sell a high priced item?

I want to sell my imac eventually, but I don't want to have to wait almost a month just to receive the funds.

2. Catch Them macrumors regular

maybe theyre payment method is different then the usual?

is there paypal address and account "Confirmed"

paypal has had alot of issues lately with confirmed and non-confirmed addresses and have changed policies regarding that should be on the press section of paypal.com

3. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Pay the shipping through Paypal, and make sure the buyer uses a confirmed address. Then you are good to go.

5. mcruzader macrumors regular

You are not quite good to go, check to see what seller protection you are getting on the item you sold, because Lord and behold you can still not get the money....if they do a chargeback or an unauthorized transaction dispute.

6. romo macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware that Paypal was doing this. I am guessing you already shipped the item? I would never ship something I received paypal for until the funds have been transferred to my bank account. Paypal can remove money from your paypal account at any time without your permission. All this buyer has to do is make one phone call to Paypal and you will never get your money. Paypal already lets people get away with theft and this sounds like they are making it even easier. Sorry to sound negative but even if you do everything right as a seller Paypal will never protect you if the buyer files a chargeback. They will always side with the buyer even when common sense says otherwise. I hope you get the money for your item but I would never ship something away without cash in hand.

7. JW008 macrumors 6502

Was the most recent item a computer? (I'm guessing yes since it's posted on this site) I think this is a relatively new policy with computers. I sold my PowerBook last month and ran into the same issue. It says that PayPal will release the funds once they confirm shipment delivery, you receive positive feedback, or 21 days pass (whichever occurs first).

Well, I received both positive feedback and the shipment was confirmed and I still didn't receive the payment. I e-mailed customer service and they released the funds immediately. Long story short, get positive feedback, confirm shipment delivery, or wait 21 days. Sucks, I know, but it seems to be their new policy.

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It's a new PayPal policy to protect against fraudulent sellers. Items that are frequently used as bait (computers, gaming systems) are flagged and the payment is placed on hold.

The fastest way to get your money is to register a tracking number with PayPal once you ship the item. The funds will clear three days after delivery unless a dispute is filed. They also clear after receiving positive feedback or after a set amount of time with no dispute.

I've sold a few items since this policy was put into place. Most went well, but I did get ripped off a few weeks ago. The seller filed a "significantly not as described" dispute, in which PayPal invariably sides with the buyer. They made outrageous claims and demanded a partial refund. IMHO, this policy is a crock and only hurts sellers.

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

Welcome to Ebay, where you can screw anyone and everyone - as long as you're a buyer.