EBay Problem!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 08mxkfx, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I sold my Unlocked/Jailbroken iPhone 3G on ebay March 31st for $612 including shipping. I got my money in my account and even withdrew it. I sent the item to a different address then the one provided in the paypal transaction because the buyer asked me to. The buyer orignal address was located in Florida but they wanted me to ship it overseas to Philippines to there son. I figured since i received the money and everything was going good that i had nothing to worry about. I shipped it out on March 31st using USPS International Express with insurance. They said it should be delivered in 5-6 days. A few hours ago i got an email from ebay saying the buyer has filed a chargeback through the credit card company and they deducted the money from my account. So now my balance is -589 cause i had some money left in there.
    The tracking number says-
    Label/Receipt Number: EH62 6333 510U S

Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 12:52 PM on April 1, 2009. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I was wondering if it is possible to get USPS to return the shipment to me before my phone is delivered and gone for ever? looks to me like im going to be out $612 and an iPhone! Anyone have any ideas what to do? I think i was scammed by someone who stole someones creditcard and made an ebay and paypal with it! I know i should have noticed before the the buyer had no feedback and that i was shipping overseas. The message they sent me was-
    Hi! Payment Sent. Please ship USPS express mail international to my son at this address:

Name: Steven Vecchitto
    address: 171 dominga st
    city: manila
    Zip code: 1301
    Contact#: 09152627709
    Please confim that you got my son's address and my payment. Thanks

I really hope there is someone to stop it since it hasnt been delivered and shouldnt be for a few days atleast!

2. The art of poor macrumors newbie

I dont know but I feel bad 4 u
    Scams are on the rise like 1million percent on ebay and craigslist
    good luckchuck

i searchd keywords scam and scammers and you'll be scared to sell or buy anything after that

3. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Yeah tell me about it!! Being only 19 and losing $612 and my iPhone sucks! I really dont know what to do! I hope there a way to stop it before it gets delivered!

4. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, someone asking you to ship overseas is a HUGE red flag.

Those days, anything that goes even a tiny bit funny or off in eBay, and I bail. Too many scammers to trust anyone those days.

6. tvp macrumors member

Definately a scam. I was hit by a similar one a few months ago when I shipped something overseas and not to the confirmed address on paypal. Now I only ship to that address.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Big lesson here, never ship to any address other than the confirmed one.

8. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I think i scared the guy though. I got in touch with the guy who credit card was stolen and his banks investigating it. Also i told him i actaully know a few people in his area cause i do alot of business over seas.
    Heres the emails he sent me after i told him that i know hes a scammer-
    Heres what i sent him-
    Ive already contacted the real owner of the credit card and they did not buy it! Now im out $600 and an iPhone. There credit card company is researching this and i have given them all your information! Also i actually know a few people in Olongapo and they are the type of people that you probably dont want to mess with. I suggest you figure out a way to solve this or your going to be in serious trouble and im not talking about legal trouble! Just remember you gave me your address.

Email 1-
    Alright, tell me what you want to do? you want me to send back the phone when I receive it? And to where do I send it back? just dont take any legal action and ill cooperate ok?

My Reply-
    As long as I receive the phone back I won't contact my friends or take legal actions. You can send me the phone back to the address on the package. It is
    *Address*

If you don't send me a tracking number within a week I can assure you that someone will be getting in touch with you.

His reply-
    Alright im so sorry for this, give me a week maximum i should be getting the phone on tuesday or wed since monday is a holiday in the philippines, how do you want it sent back fedex is much faster, by the way if you can provide me a tracking number so i can track the package and things would be fastr becausr if i wait for the postal notice to reach my housr it will cause more time.

My Reply-
    As long as I get the phone back we won't have any problems. I would prefer you shipping it fedex cause they have better tracking. Ill give you till friday to provide me with a tracking number if not I promise you will pay for it.

His reply-
    hope you are a man of your word and wont take legal action against me even after i return the phone

Sent from my iPhone

Also he provided me with this number orignally when i was shipping it. Can anyone tell if its a real number and how i would call it since its international-
    Contact#: 09152627709

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If he's so scared and cooperative why would he do the whole chargeback ****?

Sounds like a scumbag scoundrel.

10. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I stuck that phone number into Google and found this.

Click the guy's name and work through the tabs.

I doubt you'll get your phone back.

You could try contacting the Philippine authorities in the city you sent the phone to. When it operates, they might be able to trace it. Maybe.

11. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

He didnt do the chargeback. He stole someones credit card number and then used in paypal to buy my phone. Then the owner of the credit card did a chargeback because he saw there was a charge on his card that wasnt his. yeah i found that too. Think im going to send him a message and call him that name and see what happens. Any idea how to get in touch with the police over there?

12. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

unfortunately it looks like you're SOL bud. As a previous poster said live and learn. Now don't go supporting any Nigerian princesses.

13. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Just got off the phone with him and he seems like hes scared and going to ship the phone back as soon as he gets it. I guess we'll see what happens.

14. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I gave him the tracking number on the package over the phone. He just sent me an email back-
    Got the tracking number i will provide you with a fedex tracking number as soon as the phone arrives, im sorry for the hassle im just a 16 year old kid.

Sent from my iPhone

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Looks like he already has one ... Hope it works out.

16. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

maybe he is scared or he is just tooling you around.

17. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Things are looking good. Instead of trusting him to return the item to me i contact philpost which is the philippine postal service. they seem to be helpful and are going to put a hold on the shipment and have the item sent back to me. Hopefully things go good with them and they get it back to me!

18. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

good deal. I hope it works out. keep us posted

19. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

yeah hopefully i get it back. Definitely learned my lesson!!

20. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Figured i would update you guys... Got my phone back today! Im so happy.

21. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Glad to hear it! I'm guessing they managed to stop it getting to him at all?

22. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Yeah i got in touch with the Philippine Post Service and had them hold it for me and then i had to call USPS and tell them i wanted it returned to me because the person moved out of the country otherwise they cant do anything. So it was held in the Philippines for a few weeks but i got it back.

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Glad it ended well.

24. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

so anyways, u know the town's mafia or something?cuz when u said not to mess, first thing i thought was MAFIA!

25. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Way to be persistent! Lots of people would have just given up after getting scammed like that. Did you let him off the hook or is he still sweating it out? Truthfully, you probably couldn't believe anything he told you, so good job intercepting it before delivery. "I love it when a plan comes together..."