eBay purchase question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adam9c1, Oct 6, 2015.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Can this post be here?

Purchased a WD 750GB USB3 drive.
    Won auction at $38 plus ship..

Seller advertised it as:
    "New - WD Elements Basic Storage Stockage simplement, 750 GB Go, USB"

Arrives as pictured. Type up the serial and it's well past warranty.
    Contact seller, seller state said:
    The term "New" on eBay refers to never used or worn, not new as in warranty. Typically warranty's don't apply to small items/parts like this. New under warranty would need to be purchased at a lot closer to retail pricing. It is 'new' as in the definition of eBay. Thank you.

Who is in the right?
    It does not say NOS or New Old Stock.

Item 111778454648

Wanted something solid for photos backup.

2. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

If its not used, then its new ..technically. It might have been sitting around long enough that the warranty has expired from the original purchaser but its still technically new & unused if its still sealed.

3. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

4. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Did it look like it was previously used? Or was it just a ripped box just from sitting?

Either way, it sounds old enough that there wouldn't be any warranty. $38 is a pretty good deal to me. I would just worry if it doesn't function now rather than warranty.

5. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Well, the photos show the contents removed from the box, so he made it pretty clear that it was not unopened. I agree that if it is unused, he is not being deceitful by listing it as new. He did not say that the item was under warranty. You might be able to file a dispute with PayPal and win it, but I'm not sure that would be fair to the seller. My opinion is that as long as it is working, you got a pretty good deal and I would just count it as a life lesson.

6. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

It's new. He never said had warranty. Don't ever assume any ebay item is still under warranty as many only have a warranty with a receipt which often doesn't come with it. Get over it and lesson learned on your part.

7. iosuser macrumors 6502a

As has already been said, a new item could've sat there unused way past its original warranty. I would check the number of hours the hard drive has been in used. On a Windows computer, just download Crystal Disk Info, plug the drive in and run it.

8. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

If it works fine then just take it and move on...to fight over it for $38 and have the hassle of returning it (which will be at your own cost I'm sure) and getting a replacement or refund is probably way more hassle than it's worth.