ebay sale problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vinnie Madrox, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If he already paid you, what's to worry about?

3. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Refund them on PayPal.

I wouldn't trust them either. $500 seems a bit high too...

4. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

they havn't paid yet, i haven't sent the invoice yet. they just signed up to ebay today, and $500 is too much, i just put that up cause it was a free option LoL

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If they haven't paid yet, I'd relist it. I wouldn't trust the purchase either in that case. Also, checkmark the option for them to pay immediately if they purchase via PayPal.

6. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

At some point every body on ebay had a 0 feedback profile. As long as the person pays using paypal, I don't understand what your issue is. If the guy doesn't pay then relist the phone.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Like he just said, he didn't pay.

8. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

I've seen that on auctions that i've been the buyer, but i didn't see the option when listing this auction.

also, he just sent me a message, that throws up a HUGE red flag:

hello seller,
    i like this item,but hope is exactly as you have described. is your paypal okay? mail me asp

- nthesr

whenever i hear "item", expecially on craigslist, i know it's a scam.....is there a way i can contact ebay and do something about this? i'm new to selling and pretty confused. i've only sold a van on ebay before,. and that was 3 years ago LoL

9. profets macrumors 68040

It can get annoying with these types of scams. I was selling a bunch of phones last year, and out of 8, 5 of them were bought by "scammers". They never paid, and I had to keep relisting. It gets very annoying.

The other brutal thing is, even if the buyer makes the payment, the funds are not released to you until good feedback is left by the buyer. I was shipping phones out, and almost chasing buyers for good feedback. Then I had to fight with ebay and wait a while to get credited for all the listing fees for items that were bought and never paid for...

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I know there used to be a way out of this, but it's been years since I sold on eBay. Try searching here: http://answercenter.ebay.com/forum.jspa?forumID=18

There's usually some knowledgeable answers in there for most types of situations. Good luck!

11. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

soooooo..............

i should just ignore this buyer, re-list it, and eat the fees i just had to pay to list it?

12. og1 macrumors regular

you can cancel the transaction, they just dont make that obvious to you.

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/ <<< Go here

you will get your fees refunded, etc.

13. PUCCY macrumors regular

relist without the buy it now option. state in your description that they must have positive feedback and you would only ship within the US.

14. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

this buyer will just try to scam you BUT i will tell you what ... for $500 i don't think u will ever get a seriously buyer interested in your phone ....

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I know there's a way around this. As the seller, you should be able to relist for free from fraudlent buyers. I'm gonna do some searching.

He beat me to it!

People really need to read what he said. He added on the "buy it now" option because it was free and he didn't expect someone to pay that price.

16. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

exactly, i listed it starting at $300. i'm expecting to get between $375 and $425

17. og1 macrumors regular

THIS^

18. artofdesign macrumors member

No. It's a legally binding contract. You should send him a paypal invoice from the option on eBay(make sure it's linked to the auction). And make sure he pays, is verified, and uses a confirmed address.
    Use shipping insurance, cheap and keeps you safe.
    Then make sure you require signature on delivery(not just conformation, get signature, per paypal it's required if over $250 for item).
    If you follow these steps and the item is what you listed(no errors in your listing and item received matches perfect) then you should be covered.
    You should verify the tips I suggest. As far as I know that's the best way to cover yourself). I have over 100 feedback and never had a problem if I follow those steps.

2 other thoughts:
    $500 for a used iPhone seems about $100-$175 too much. Just compared to what they normally go for on eBay.
    And, the term "item" is normal for eBay.

19. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

As others have said, if the buyer hasn't paid then there's no problem. The transaction can be cancelled and re-listed. Next time, you can put a "Buy It Now" option if you like, but just make sure you check off the box for the buyer to pay immediately with PayPal. There's also a checkbox for preventing a sale to buyers who may be less than trustworthy. You can also, if you're worried, change the amount of time you give someone to return the item.

20. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

the message he sent me, also said

"i like this item,but hope is exactly as you have described"

which, to me, reads:

"i'm going to mess it up when it gets here and fake a refund, and just covering my ass". i'm not loosing that much money and my phone....

21. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Scam I would say. What I hate is that paypal will hold your money untill they recieve it and 3 days pass, or they leave you positive feedback. The buyer could say any number of things to try to get paypal to refund your money. Next time I eBay a phone, I won't be accepting paypal for this reason. To many horror stories, there is even a websites devoted to paypal horror stories. If you do end up selling it to him, do what I did, which is took a video at the post office of me turnin the phone on, going through the phone, going into the about section and getting shots of the serial number and such. I also took video of everything that was going into the box, sealing the box, showing the address it was going to, and finaly the package being handed to the lady at the post office. After I shipped the item, I emailed him the link to the video to put his mind at ease that it was being shipped, but also to let him know that I had 100% proof that I shipped his item just in case he was planning to pull a fast one, like say he didn't get it, or it was broken when he received it. That shxt won't fly with me.

22. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The buyer hasn't paid. There's no "legal binding contract" and he can refuse sale to the buyer at any time to avoid a scam. ;) Other than that, you offer sound advice.

Exactly what I said too. ;)

23. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

This is BS. Feedback on eBay has nothing to do with PayPal payments or any payments period. I have over 540 transactions and I can tell you that. I have dozens of transactions that I never received any feedback from. Some are more conscientious than others in providing feedback. Doesn't mean I didn't get the money! That's just a stupid statement to make.

While you have a lot better feeling about doing business with eBayers with hundreds of positive feedbacks....or 100% positive feedback or close to that. As a previous poster stated...they all have to start somewhere. I suppose this could be a scam but the worst that can happen to you is that he doesn't pay you...you cancel the auction with eBay...you get your seller fees back...and then you relist it. I don't see the point if this is a scam? I guess he's trying to get you to send him the iPhone before you receive payment? Just make sure you do the following:

Once you receive a PayPal payment...transfer the money into your designated account immediately. Usually your bank account. It will then take 2-3 days to post in your bank account. Once the funds appear in your bank account...you have "secured" the funds...it is safe to send the item to your buyer.

One last note. There are what is called "Verified" eBay members. These are people who do link a verified checking or savings accounts to their eBay accounts (others just have a credit card as security).. Therefore, eBay provides greater fraud protection to these transaction. I like to see verified eBay members but it's not a deal breaker. Number of transactions, percentage of positive transactions, all are indicators of honest people.

I'd move forward with the transaction but just make sure you get the secured funds before you ship the iPhone.

24. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Exactly....

Notes: I got $355 for mine so $500 does sem high. But I've seen stupider things!
    And the term "item" is the term used on eBay. Nothing to worry about.

25. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Exactly! I second this. Feedback has nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing.