eBay Scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JsR, Aug 25, 2010.

1. JsR macrumors regular

I'm a frequent eBayer and I have used it for about 5 years with 100% positive feedback on over 200 items.

On Monday I sold watch and I sent it Royal Mail Special Delivery yesterday at 11:47am. I paid for the postage and I have proof, as well as a tracking number.

I've come home from work today with an email from the buyer claiming he has not received the watch and that I guaranteed next day delivery. He sent me the email at 3pm this afternoon. So when I got home - I checked the tracking number with Royal Mail and it says it was delivered and signed for at 11:02am this morning. It also provided me with a digital copy of the buyers signature (which matched with the name of the buyer.)

I double checked the address it had been sent to, all of which was correct but he emailed insisting he hasn't received it and wants to know where it is.

I have never ever had a problem with eBay before or Royal Mail. I've re-checked the user and he has nearly 70,000 feedbacks at 99.6%. He may have made a genuine mistake and I am waiting on a reply, but if he persists - where do I stand?

I have proof of postage with a tracking number, he has (or someone in his name) has signed for the watch, and the address was correct with eBay and Paypal. If he continues and raises a dispute with eBay and protests he did not receive the item - what happens? Will eBay take demand I pay the money back, and then I am out of the money and a watch?

Thanks in advance :cool:

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

No, with that tracking number, signature and confirmed addresses, you're in good shape.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Seconded. Sounds like you (OP) have sufficient evidence to support yourself.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You should be fine, but Paypal and eBay are notorious for ignoring sellers in cases like this. Make sure you empty your Paypal account in case they freeze it.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

^ What he said. And try to email them the proof of delivery.

6. awmazz macrumors 65816

Sounds like that to me too. Maybe he does so much trading that he's lost track of it himself or is confusing yours with someone else's. Assuming 70,000 trades over 5 years is near on 40 deliveries every day seven days a week. Bound to make a mistake every now and then with that sort of volume. Just send him your receipt.

7. JsR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Feeling a little more positive about it now I know I'm well equipped. Yeah I withdrew the money on Monday night and it is going into my account tomorrow (I work for my bank so I checked the pending transactions today and the full amount is to credit over night.)

I have had no reply from him as of yet. Hopefully he has made a mistake with the volume of activity he has, as mentioned previously. I did check his feedback and he had over 30 negative this month with over 4,000 positive which is reasonable!

I'll keep you posted, thanks again!

Holly :D