ebay scams question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FredAkbar, Jul 29, 2007.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

So I posted my (HP) laptop for sale on eBay last night, and so far I've had 5-10 scammers post questions/message me about it. As I've learned how to identify them (their writing style and the demands they make are pretty obvious once you know what to look for), it isn't a safety issue for me, but I'm surprised at how many I'm getting. Does this always happen when posting something like a laptop (I got a lot of scammers when I posted it on craigslist too), or did I do something wrong that makes it especially attractive to scammers?

My auction can be found here. (I'm not just posting this to surreptitiously advertise, I promise! :D)

It's pretty annoying, I mean I just delete the message and the posted question and the email eBay sends me, but still. Have you guys had this same problem?

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Just a guess, but since you have a 0 feedback it might make scammers think you are more gullible than the average seller. Not much you can do there beyond just sucking it up until you build up more experience there.

3. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, when selling an item like a laptop on eBay, you do get many emails from scammers, such as ''Hello Friend, please let me take a few minutes of your time to tell you about our website that sells great electrical goods''.

All you can do is ignore them i'm afraid.

4. dodong macrumors member

dodong

With your current feedback rating, you would have a difficult time finding buyers for the item that you're selling. It might be a good idea to receive some good feedbacks as a buyer first, so when you sell something buyers will know you're such an honest and reliable merchant. That's maybe the reason why you got responses from scammers.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Laptops always to tend to draw the scammers. When I sold one of mine I had some scammer use Buy It Now and waste a lot of time. Luckily it was obvious he was a scammer so I just told him where to go.

I agree with the other posters, with 0 feedback you're definitely a target trying to sell something like that. You might have a hard time selling it.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Also even if you don't have a hard time selling it you will get less money than you would with more positive feedback ;)

7. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I've tried craigslist, though Humboldt is a small area and I don't think humboldt craigslist is that popular. When I get back down to Santa Barbara I'll try there. I'll also try the forum marketplace here, if it doesn't sell on eBay.