eBay Seller's Guide For Newbies! Please assist!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hoo03, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Hello, members of MR!

I first used search function before I posted this since not all of the questions that I wanted to ask were addressed. Hopefully this thread can be helpful to other members as well.

The situation that I am in is that I need to sell my older macs on eBay now that I've upgraded to MBP.

I have only sold 1 product on eBay and that was worth $20 or so. Naturally I am little nervous about selling my macs that are worth quite a bit on eBay. In order to mitigate any risks, I would like to be prepared. I appologize in advance since these questions are basic and elemantary :confused::

1) I've registered all of my macs. If a potential buyer requests serial number do I provide it? If I don't provide it, doesn't it appear that I am a scammer?
    2) When the transaction is complete on eBay, do I need to send an e-mail to Apple that I no longer own this product and re-register it to the new owner's name?
    3) To delete sensitive information, do you prep it up by reinstalling OS?

I may have more questions as I go through this process. Thank you in advance for all your help! :)

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

1. The way to avoid this problem is taking pictures with your user name on it. As in a picture of your mac with a piece of paper with your user name one it
    2. No, as I never did this before. I sold aleast four on eBay
    3. Yes always do a reinstall and zero out the HDD

3. Hoo03 thread starter macrumors regular

That's some nice information. Thanks for the tip. Since you've sold 4+ macs, do you have any other recommendations or tips that you care to share?

4. mBurns macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm the minority but, if I was buying a $1000+ machine... I'd like to have the opportunity to know the serial number if I so desire. If I was the seller, I wouldn't publicly post it on the listing. That being said, if someone asks for it, what is the reason not to give it to them? They're most likely wanting to validate any questions they may have with Apple.

Am I missing something here?

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

The best recommendation I can give you is to take lots of pictures of the unit and make sure you insure your shipment. Good luck in you sale...