eBay sellers have gone crazy.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ctmpkmlec4, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ctmpkmlec4, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181615840102

Edit: The link doesn't work for me. I copied and pasted from my iPhone. The auction I tried to link to is for "refurbished" iBook G4's. Buy It Now for $324. The refurb packaging has the YouTube, Facebook, and Office 2014 logos. Description says it "come with all Apple apps..." Whatever that means.

2. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Gee, that's stupid. I wonder how they are refurbished... Fixing one up and selling it could mean 'refurbished', but I like to think of it as making it look like-new. I am sure they simply upgraded the RAM and maybe fixed certain things. Besides, $300+?? Yeah, if it was 2008 right now xD. They have fallen behind, as iBook G4s are no longer a 'craze'. Two years ago, the average price for one was about $100 because of popular demand, but now it's around half that.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

4. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

*sigh* I don't care if they paid like $3000 for it new, a computer that is going on 10 years old is NOT worth $450. xD I hate that mentality people have when they price their computers; they judge it depending on what they had paid for it 10 years prior, and think knocking off all but, like, $200 is a good deal. If only they knew...

And of course, if you try to enlighten these people about it, they take offense, most likely because they hate to think that their old Mac is only worth like $40. (they also think that we enthusiasts are actually liars who just want to make low-ball offers).

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

sellers haven't gone crazy, it's the idiot buyers. if someone is willing to pay that price...

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

That's shady - they're trying to trap someone unaware of the lack of ongoing support for PowerPC Macs.

I've reported the listing for the Office 2014 logo, don't hold out much hope of eBay pulling it though.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Caveat emptor applies to the whole of eBay. Add to that the fact that false advertising means the buyer can return for a refund within 45 days. If the seller skedaddles in the meantime, eBay picks up the tab. That is the only way eBay will learn.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's definitely the sellers. Listings like the one above can go unsold for months because buyers can easily find the same or higher-spec item at half the price.

9. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

10. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

i found and posted this in the Bad Apples thread that my friend started, lol

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

12. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Gotta track down their graphic designer for their shipping boxes.. Thats some high class word art going on right there. Its got more logos and crap sneezed all over it than a bad minor league hockey jersey.

Attached Files:

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's a matter of whether it's cheap enough to list, and whether they can give the impression that it's worth that much. Taking advantage of buyers who may not know the difference is just extremely dishonest.

14. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

These stupid sellers must get lots of bad feedback... I love how it advertises 'YouTube' on the box. xD It's funny because YouTube is not going to run well on this machine, and it's not like YouTube is something a computer HAS... it's simply a website, not some application.

I have seen those Chinese ads for iBooks, and I am sure this person looked those up, printed them, and pasted them onto the boxes. What a joke.

----------

I have seen many listings for refurbished iBooks, where that same ad is used... I think some Chinese seller must have made it, because it's that classic banner that shows everything the computer 'has' in the most cheesy and un-American way. (those sellers that label their products as "SHIP FROM USA"). xD

I am sure this seller is either one of those kinds of sellers, or just stole that graphic art and use it on their boxes.

15. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

There's a lot of jokes on ebay, everywhere.
    This for example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miracle-Jes...707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c86e40bb ($1,200 potato chip)

----------

Here is a "PowerMac G4" (actually a TiBook) for $150 but it is in poor condition
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G4-15-/151513336662?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item2346e60b56

----------

The PowerMac G5s are almost the same price as my 2009 MBP which can do so much more so much better than that.

----------

If you wan to see the absolute CRAZIEST listings, see this guy's listings:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/theappleipodbay/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
    We talked about this in another thread

like...
    AN IPOD CLASSIC FOR $49,875!!! :eek:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-AMAZIN...1669?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item259a035d25

16. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

They don't actually. In many cases they have just started withholding payment from the seller for 21 days, or until the buyer acknowledges receipt and gives positive feedback.

They are totally and absolutely screwing over sellers now.

I was selling a 2011 Macbook pro on eBay and the buyer paid by PayPal immediately. I checked in PayPal and the funds were being held for 21 days. Ebay actually expected me to send a laptop I sold for $800 to the buyer without having access to *my* money. I canceled the sale and refunded the buyer and told them why.

17. weckart macrumors 68040

I knew about the 21 days but it doesn't mean much if you buy from abroad. Those 21 days get eaten up fast. 45 days gives you some protection as a buyer and sellers have been screwed over for ages.

Just received a TiBook in the post. Sent in a jiffy bag :eek:. The screen didn't make it.

18. ZVH macrumors 6502

I think the real rationale for holding money for 21 days is so they can get interest on the money. Interest rates are low, but money is money, and if you're pulling this stunt millions of times a day the pennies add up.

19. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I feel your pain, a few months ago I got a Ti naked in a priority mail box, screen was toast.