Ebay: Selling iPhone 5, will not ship until Sept.... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sap12690, Aug 18, 2014.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

I have been looking around and want to get as much money as I can for my phone so I can get the iPhone 6 but I can not sell it now because I don't have a back up phone to use until its released.

My question is.... I was thinking about putting it up on Ebay but placing a note in the description that states that "Will Ship The Week of September 22nd". Do you guys think that would work? or is there any rules on ebay that prevent that? As a Ebay buyer would you guys be turned off by that? I just want to get as much as I can for it. Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're on the hook to ship the phone once it sells.

3. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

As a eBay buyer? Yes, I would have a problem with this and simply move on to looking at iPhones that ship after the sale is complete. That is just me though.

4. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I would imagine most people would ignore your listing and buy a phone which will ship right away, unless you offer it for a very good price which would kinda defeat what you were trying to achieve.

5. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

Do you really expect anyone to be that stupid?

6. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stupid how? Its the same thing as preordering something. I have seen listings before where the buyer specifically states that they will ship it in 1-2 weeks after you purchase it. I was just wondering how people would feel about it when it comes to it being an iPhone.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Everyone knows a new iPhone will come out around september, and everyone knows the prices will then drop.

8. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I think iPhone users who are looking at buying a used one to save money will simply move on to a auction where the phone ships out right away. Why should they wait one to two weeks for your used iPhone when there are many of them on eBay that ship out the minute payment is received.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, if you're going to sell now, and the buyer can wait until you have your iPhone 6 at the end of September or even later in the year. They too can wait and buy when the prices come down.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why would someone buy it now for delivery in September when they could buy it even cheaper in September.:rolleyes:

Even if you post this disclaimer, some people will not read it, bid, win and be pissed as hell at you and post negative feedback!:eek:

If money is that tight, maybe you should keep your 5!

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If I'm a buyer on eBay, why would I buy your phone that won't ship for a month when I can buy a phone from another seller for the same price who can ship it out tomorrow? The only way a buyer would do that is if your phone was sold at a significantly lower price than everyone else, and then you might as well just wait to sell it.

And no, it's not the same as preordering something. You preorder something when it's not on sale to guarantee you'll get one when it does. I preordered a PS4 months before they were released to guarantee I get one on release day. It would make little sense to preorder one now to ship in a month when I can buy one on Amazon and have it delivered tomorrow.

12. AX338 macrumors regular

AX338

Try going a few weeks without a phone, you might be surprised.

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Per eBay TOS, you have to ship an item within 30 days of purchase. That's generally only used for presale listings (i.e. an item that won't be available for sale when the auction takes place) but I guess what you're doing would be technically okay as long as you ship it before your 30 days are up. I can tell you as a frequent eBay seller that what you're attempting to do is a bad practice and even if you get a sale the bidder is likely to give you a low rating for making them wait so long for no good reason.

In other words, again as someone who sells electronics on eBay, I wouldn't do it.