eBay selling question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Canyon528, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Canyon528 macrumors newbie

Last night I had a buyer purchase my phone I had listed on eBay for $325. I got the email from PayPal saying that payment was received. I go on PayPal and print out a shipping label and then transfer the funds to my bank account. This morning I check my email and have several from eBay and PayPal. The one from eBay says they have cancelled the sale due to a suspicious buyer and the transaction has been erased from eBay. PayPal says they have reversed the bank transfer and put a hold on the funds. I contact eBay and the guy I talk to tells me that the buyer has had his account closed by eBay and that I can still ship the item to the buyer if PayPal releases the funds, but I would not be able to receive feedback. I contact PayPal and explain to them the situation. They release the funds back to account. They tell me that I can either ship the item or do a refund to the buyer. The buyer had only been a member since last month and had ten transactions. The last few within the last few days, all iPhones. His address on PayPal shows as verified. I have been on eBay since 2006 with over 100 transactions, both buying and selling and have never had to deal with anything like this.

I would like someone else's opinion on this, if I should or should not send the phone?

2. blue43fan macrumors regular

3. Canyon528 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was what I was leaning toward, just wanted a second opinion

4. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Because the money can easily be taken back.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Tell him to send a money order but no don't send the phone till ya know you have and get to keep the green $$

7. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Not once you claimed it.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

They can still take the money out of a linked bank account or credit card.

The only way they can't take the money back is if you close your PayPal account altogether, and even then I'm sure they'll find a way to get the money.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

This is true. Paypal can and does reverse funds.
    As a seller you are not always safe.

The buyer can actually keep the phone 45 days then demand a refund, regardless of your terms.

Will you get your original phone back...Maybe not.

Since Ebay as taken action, use it as a sign and dont send the phone.

10. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I concur here, dont send it. Something set off an alarm. This is why i do craigslist and have them meet inside and att or apple store to complete sale. Honest people have no problem doing this. And no chance of reverse fees or payapl problems. Just make sure meet in a public place, Get there early and let a worker there know whats up. They never turn me away because they could get a sale for a new line from the phone.

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

If you're relying on PayPal to play fair if the buyer gets your phone and then messes about to get the money back simple ... DON'T !!!

PayPal favours the buyer, they always have.... they can and do claw money back irrispective of your terms.

Refund it and resell

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

google "ebay+paypal+chargeback+scam"

I stopped selling anything worth over $100.00 on ebay long ago because it is so easy to get ripped off if you are the seller.

When the ip4 came out I sold my 3gs to a guy...two months later he claims he never authorized the purchase through paypal. In the end I was out both my money AND my phone.

Also, I like to point out to people that with ebay and paypal fees combined, they are skimming close to 20% off the top of your transaction.

Sell your phone on craigslist, get cash for it, and meet in a public location...much safer.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Accepting a money order wouild also be contrary to eBay rules.

I say relist and forget this guy, it is just not worth it. eBay shouyld credit you any fees if you apply.